1. Northamptonshire, UK
    Moves
    06 Dec '14 10:13
    Hardly a Yuletide spirit I know, but I for one am a bit disappointed to read this. I became a subscriber to enjoy all the main RHP benefits that come with unrestricted number of concurrent games, the option to enter tournaments if I wanted to and so on. On the basis that these benefits are now being made available to non-subscribers and therefore at nil-cost, could someone please convince me why I should bother renewing my subscription in January? Personally I'm not so sure that a vacation flag (most people can access RHP now wherever they are in the world), an advert ban and a subscriber 'star' next to my username is worth the current subscription alone and I therefore probably won't bother to renew next time round.
  2. Subscriber64squaresofpain
    The drunk knight
    Stuck on g1
    Moves
    06 Dec '14 11:28
    More available tournaments?
    Ladders?
    Clan/club games?
    Ability to play unlimited number of games?
    To help support a good site?
    Because Christmas is for giving?
    🙂
  3. SubscriberC J Horse
    A stable personality
    Near my hay.
    Moves
    06 Dec '14 11:54
    Non-subs are not getting unlimited games - their allowance is being doubled to 12 for a short time only.

There will be a small number of non-sub tournaments, seemingly so they can get the "tournament experience".

Non-subs get nothing like the benefits available to a paying member. The initiative seems to be simply a marketing tool and is combined with an offer of a discount on subs for a short while.
  4. e4
    Moves
    06 Dec '14 14:15
    Subs also get to use an Avatar!

Which reminds me, I hope you are all hard at it in the
    creativity department working on your Christmas Avatars.
  5. SubscriberThe Gravedigger
    Jack Torrance
    Overlook Hotel
    Moves
    06 Dec '14 14:23
    Originally posted by FlyingWolf
    Hardly a Yuletide spirit I know, but I for one am a bit disappointed to read this. I became a subscriber to enjoy all the main RHP benefits that come with unrestricted number of concurrent games, the option to enter tournaments if I wanted to and so on. On the basis that these benefits are now being made available to non-subscribers and therefore at nil-c ...[text shortened]... h the current subscription alone and I therefore probably won't bother to renew next time round.
    Be gutted to lose a player of your calibre foxy.
  6. Standard memberSchlecter
    The King of Board
    Solar System
    Moves
    06 Dec '14 16:241 edit
    Actually non-sub can play just ONE open tournament in all his/her RHP life
  7. Northamptonshire, UK
    Moves
    06 Dec '14 19:121 edit
  8. Northamptonshire, UK
    Moves
    06 Dec '14 19:13
    Originally posted by The Gravedigger
    Be gutted to lose a player of your calibre foxy.
    So says a non-subscriber....
  9. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    06 Dec '14 19:261 edit
    The feature I miss compared with when I subscribed is not being able to set up more than 15 conditional moves. With 15 moves it's quite easy to run out, especially as I typically use them to speed up openings and so program in variations fairly deeply. Also if I think I have some kind of combination with multiple branches it's easy to run out of conditional moves. So, as least as far as I'm concerned that's the feature that Russ needs to keep restricted to encourage me to resubscribe.
  10. Standard memberjarrasch
    NeighborhoodChampion
    Moves
    07 Dec '14 14:392 edits
    Originally posted by C J Horse
    The initiative seems to be simply a marketing tool and is combined with an offer of a discount on subs for a short while.
    hi, what is the amount of discount? where can I find some information about it?

EDIT: found it:
    In addition, through December, you can receive 25% off your first quarter for a new 3 months recurring subscriptions paid with a Credit Card (excludes PayPal payments) if you use coupon QUARTXMAS25.
  11. Joined
    17 Jul '06
    Moves
    11 Dec '14 23:341 edit
    Originally posted by FlyingWolf
    Hardly a Yuletide spirit I know, but I for one am a bit disappointed to read this. I became a subscriber to enjoy all the main RHP benefits that come with unrestricted number of concurrent games, the option to enter tournaments if I wanted to and so on. On the basis that these benefits are now being made available to non-subscribers and therefore at nil-c ...[text shortened]... h the current subscription alone and I therefore probably won't bother to renew next time round.
    Really!? Because i can try a few weeks and see if i like it? It's nothing else than the little giveaways you get at some stores, to attract new customers. Or, rent an appartment, or storage, and get one month free when signing up for a one-year-lease. I am not taking anything away. I donot have subscriber status... merely participating in a limited trial tournament. I like the idea and may become a subscriber too.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree