Browsr upgrade

Subscriberbob58online
Help 18 Oct '14 11:48
  1. Joined
    04 Apr '09
    Moves
    18 Oct '14 11:48
    I use an old computer to play when I travel. I recently got a message to "upgrade my browser to IE9 or above or turn off compatability mode". I don't know what to do.
  2. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    18 Oct '14 12:47
    Originally posted by bob58
    I use an old computer to play when I travel. I recently got a message to "upgrade my browser to IE9 or above or turn off compatability mode". I don't know what to do.
    What kind of "old computer" is it?
    What browser are you using on it right now?
    What version is it?

Are you asking for help to turn off compatability mode or help to upgrade the browser?
  3. Joined
    10 May '12
    Moves
    18 Oct '14 15:54
    Get chorme or firefox if you can
  4. Joined
    04 Apr '09
    Moves
    18 Oct '14 20:12
    My computer uses windows XP so I think I just want to turn off compatibility.
  5. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    19 Oct '14 00:00
    Originally posted by bob58
    My computer uses windows XP so I think I just want to turn off compatibility.
    google is your friend.

http://fixtro.com/turning-off-compatibility-mode-in-windows-xp
  6. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    20 Oct '14 11:36
    Please install Forefox or Chrome though. Change is coming, and many old browsers will become unsupported.

If you are stuck on XP, where the latest builds of IE are not possible, then please get Firefox or Chrome.
  7. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    20 Oct '14 12:20
    Originally posted by Russ
    Please install Forefox or Chrome though. Change is coming, and many old browsers will become unsupported.

If you are stuck on XP, where the latest builds of IE are not possible, then please get Firefox or Chrome.
    I'm not trying to hijack this thread and it appears that the OP question has been answered, but:

Russ, in your opinion which is better for a laptop, firefox or chrome? I have used firefox exclusively for many years and have few complaints, but I would like to see your view as you are more experienced with all of the browsers available.
  8. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    20 Oct '14 14:29
    Originally posted by mwmiller
    I'm not trying to hijack this thread and it appears that the OP question has been answered, but:

Russ, in your opinion which is better for a laptop, firefox or chrome? I have used firefox exclusively for many years and have few complaints, but I would like to see your view as you are more experienced with all of the browsers available.
    For convenience, I use all brands of browser concurrently!

But right now, Chrome wins for me, but that is because of its recently improved developer tools, so not really applicable to a normal users.

The current version of any browser is good enough these days, and the sooner the legacy of IE8 and lower is consigned to history, the better.
  9. Joined
    10 May '12
    Moves
    20 Oct '14 16:55
    Agreed, IE sucks.
  10. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    07 Dec '14 17:00
    Originally posted by mwmiller

The question you gotta ask yourself is: Do I feel lucky?

Uhhh, no, wait. The real question you gotta ask yourself is: How much do I trust Google?

I don't trust them as far as I could throw them. So I use Firefox still.
  11. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    08 Dec '14 17:55
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    The question you gotta ask yourself is: Do I feel lucky?

Uhhh, no, wait. The real question you gotta ask yourself is: How much do I trust Google?

I don't trust them as far as I could throw them. So I use Firefox still.
    Firefox is good. Even new builds of Opera are a viable option.
  12. Joined
    08 Oct '12
    Moves
    05 Jan '15 20:24
    How do i turn off compatability mode ? i would appreciate it if you would help me please
  13. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    05 Jan '15 20:32
    http://fixtro.com/turning-off-compatibility-mode-in-windows-xp

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree