1. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    08 Oct '14 21:45
    Though the nation’s overall uninsured rate has dropped about five percentage points in the last year, Americans are still more likely to say the health care law hurt them rather than helped them, according to a new Gallup survey.

Fifty-four percent of respondents say Obamacare has “not had an effect” on them or their family. But those who did notice a change more likely thought it was a negative one: 27 percent said the law hurt them, while 16 percent said it helped them.

etc.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2014/10/08/poll_more_say_obamacare_hurts_them_rather_than_helps_124226.html
  2. Germany
    Moves
    09 Oct '14 04:07
    People generally don't like change, especially if it's a kind of charge where they cannot oversee the consequences.
  3. Joined
    22 Jun '08
    Moves
    09 Oct '14 04:23
    Here in Oregon, people are fuming over the 200 million this state spent for a web site that did not work.. brilliant.
  4. SubscriberWajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    Provocation
    Moves
    09 Oct '14 05:41
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    People generally don't like change, especially if it's a kind of charge where they cannot oversee the consequences.
    Yes, best not to let people have control, better to have other people control those people. People that like to control more than those that don't like to be controlled should be in control.
  5. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    09 Oct '14 08:18
    Originally posted by sh76
    [quote]Though the nation’s overall uninsured rate has dropped about five percentage points in the last year, Americans are still more likely to say the health care law hurt them rather than helped them, according to a new Gallup survey.

Fifty-four percent of respondents say Obamacare has “not had an effect” on them or their family. But those who did notice ...[text shortened]... olitics.com/articles/2014/10/08/poll_more_say_obamacare_hurts_them_rather_than_helps_124226.html
    do you read what you post?

when 54% say obamacare had no effect, that alone disproves "More people hurt by the ACA than helped"
  6. SubscriberWajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    Provocation
    Moves
    09 Oct '14 08:59
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    do you read what you post?

when 54% say obamacare had no effect, that alone disproves "More people hurt by the ACA than helped"
    Then the 54% don't count for anything they're neutral. Neither hurt nor helped.

So something has been proven here and it has to with your ability to comprehend simple percentages and your propensity to run off at the mouth.
  7. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    09 Oct '14 11:00
    [quote]Though the nation’s overall uninsured rate has dropped about five percentage points in the last year, Americans are still more likely to say the health care law hurt them rather than helped them, according to a new Gallup survey.

Fifty-four percent of respondents say Obamacare has “not had an effect” on them or their family. But those who did notice ...[text shortened]... olitics.com/articles/2014/10/08/poll_more_say_obamacare_hurts_them_rather_than_helps_124226.html
    Just because people say it hurts them doesn't mean it actually does.
  8. Germany
    Moves
    09 Oct '14 13:00
    Originally posted by Wajoma
    Yes, best not to let people have control, better to have other people control those people. People that like to control more than those that don't like to be controlled should be in control.
    People generally don't like anarchism either.
  9. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    09 Oct '14 13:26

The report also says,
    "While a majority of every partisan group acknowledged that the law didn’t affect them, Republicans were the least likely to believe it helped. Just 4 percent said it did, compared to 27 percent of Democrats and 16 percent of independents. "

So the most impactful reported correlation is to party affiliation. There is no reported correlation to any measure of quality, cost, or other aspect of actual health care.
  10. Joined
    30 Dec '04
    Moves
    09 Oct '14 13:37
    Originally posted by rwingett
    Just because people say it hurts them doesn't mean it actually does.
    It has hurt me and my family. How can you say that it hasn't really hurt me when I say it has. How can you pass judgement on people's statements when you don't know them or their situation. Are there certain qualifiers I need to meet for my statement to be true in your eyes?

The ACA was presented by Obama as a money saver for Americans. Far from the truth for me. I believe he said that the premiums would go down by $2500 a year. Mine went up. By the end of 2014 my out of pocket expenses will be a little over $4000 dollars more than last year.

The ACA has hurt my family.
  11. Standard memberSleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    Dustbin of history
    Moves
    09 Oct '14 13:58
    Originally posted by boonon
    How can you say that it hasn't really hurt me when I say it has.
    All leftists believe they are better equipped to make decisions about your life than you are. Because shut up.
  12. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    09 Oct '14 14:14
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    People generally don't like anarchism either.
    People generally have no idea what anarchism is.
  13. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    09 Oct '14 14:51
    Originally posted by JS357
    The report also says,
    "While a majority of every partisan group acknowledged that the law didn’t affect them, Republicans were the least likely to believe it helped. Just 4 percent said it did, compared to 27 percent of Democrats and 16 percent of independents. "

So the most impactful reported correlation is to party affiliation. There is no reported correlation to any measure of quality, cost, or other aspect of actual health care.
    the 54% percent who say they don't see an improvement are equally meaningful. those are also in fact helped by the ACA. they are insured. they are helped.

the aca was supposed to help some people who had no coverage previously and not affect a large portion of the population. this survey proves exactly that, instead of proving what the OP thought it did.
  14. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    09 Oct '14 14:56
    It has hurt me and my family. How can you say that it hasn't really hurt me when I say it has. How can you pass judgement on people's statements when you don't know them or their situation. Are there certain qualifiers I need to meet for my statement to be true in your eyes?

The ACA was presented by Obama as a money saver for Americans. Far from the truth ...[text shortened]... xpenses will be a little over $4000 dollars more than last year.

And why do you presume that your anecdotal experience is typical of the population at large? It seems obvious to me that the survey merely reflects people's ideological predispositions toward the ACA. Those who oppose the ACA have a higher proportion claiming that it's "hurting" them. What this "hurt" consists of is not made clear. It may be that it just hurts their feelings.
  15. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    09 Oct '14 14:59

The ACA was presented by Obama as a money saver for Americans. Far from the truth ...[text shortened]... xpenses will be a little over $4000 dollars more than last year.

if you buy incredibly cheap stuff made in sweatshops in vietnam, and then vietnam does the right thing and imposes decent work conditions and wages, and your cheap crap goes up in price, you shouldn't have the nerve of complaining your crap is getting more expensive.

the previous situation with the healthcare was similar. the premiums were lower because medical insurers refused to insure sick people who actually needed help. because medical insurers did all kinds of crap to avoid paying medical bills and nobody could do anything about it.

you benefited from a shady business practice and now you complain about having to pay 4000 more a year. the cancer patient who couldn't get insured because of sleep apneea and now can is very sad about your situation and would like you to know he will be thinking about you poor innocent victim.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree