1. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    17 Sep '14 21:35
    Quotes on Politics and World Affairs

"In this case the attribution to Henry Louis Mencken, a prominent newspaperman and political commentator during the first half of the 20th century, is accurate. ["Moron This Story" -Snopes] Writing for the Baltimore Evening Sun on 26 July 1920, in an article entitled "Bayard vs. Lionheart" (and reprinted in the book On Politics: A Carnival of Buncombe), Mencken cynically opined on the difficulties of good men reaching national office when the scale of their campaigns precluded them from directly reaching out to large segments of the voting public:"

"The larger the mob, the harder the test. In small areas, before small electorates, a first-rate man occasionally fights his way through, carrying even the mob with him by force of his personality. But when the field is nationwide, and the fight must be waged chiefly at second and third hand, and the force of personality cannot so readily make itself felt, then all the odds are on the man who is, intrinsically, the most devious and mediocre — the man who can most easily adeptly disperse the notion that his mind is a virtual vacuum.

The Presidency tends, year by year, to go to such men. As democracy is perfected, the office represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. We move toward a lofty ideal. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron."

-H.L. Mencken (Born 1880 - Died 1956) was a journalist, satirist, critic and registered Democrat.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/quotes/whitehousemoron.asp

In an email today from a friend in a suburb of Boston with the comment: "So it was written, and so it has come to pass..."

Note: Please feel free to contribute your quotes on politics and world affairs worthy of discussion and debate? Thank you.
  2. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    21 Sep '14 16:42
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    [b]Quotes on Politics and World Affairs

"In this case the attribution to Henry Louis Mencken, a prominent newspaperman and political commentator during the first half of the 20th century, is accurate. ["Moron This Story" -Snopes] Writing for the Baltimore Evening Sun on 26 July 1920, in an article entitled "Bayard vs. Lionheart" (and repri ...[text shortened]... contribute your quotes on politics and world affairs worthy of discussion and debate? Thank you.[/b]
    One of my favority quotes comes from such a man.

Al Gore once said this when questioned about controversial campaign donations.

"We did nothing wrong, and we will never do it again."

You just make this stuff up.
  3. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    22 Sep '14 01:17
    Originally posted by whodey
    One of my favority quotes comes from such a man.

Al Gore once said this when questioned about controversial campaign donations.

"We did nothing wrong, and we will never do it again."

You just make this stuff up.
    It is difficult to decide whether Al Gore or the present VP is the best source of moronic material.
  4. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    22 Sep '14 11:38
    I always get a chuckle when I think back to Clinton's speech where he declared the era of big government to be over.

What a baffoon.
  5. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    22 Sep '14 13:221 edit
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    [b]Quotes on Politics and World Affairs

"In this case the attribution to Henry Louis Mencken, a prominent newspaperman and political commentator during the first half of the 20th century, is accurate. ["Moron This Story" -Snopes] Writing for the Baltimore Evening Sun on 26 July 1920, in an article entitled "Bayard vs. Lionheart" (and repri ...[text shortened]... contribute your quotes on politics and world affairs worthy of discussion and debate? Thank you.[/b]
    It's impossible to answer the question until one defines "first-rate man" and "mediocre." First rate or mediocre at what? Intelligence? Charisma? Moral clarity? What criteria are important and ones that leaders tend to be bad at? Clinton was shrewd and flexible, but lacked moral clarity. Bush had the courage of his convictions but lacked wisdom. Obama has charisma and intelligence but lacks purpose and the ability clearly mark and seek solutions for his visions. Paul Ryan, for example, is exceptionally intelligent, but lacks charisma.

Everyone has strengths and weaknesses but without a clearer definition as to the criteria to which the quote is referring, it is meaningless.
  6. Germany
    Moves
    22 Sep '14 13:30
    Originally posted by sh76
    It's impossible to answer the question until one defines "first-rate man" and "mediocre." First rate or mediocre at what? Intelligence? Charisma? Moral clarity? What criteria are important and ones that leaders tend to be bad at? Clinton was shrewd and flexible, but lacked moral clarity. Bush had the courage of his convictions but lacked wisdom. Obama has chari ...[text shortened]... hout a clearer definition as to the criteria to which the quote is referring, it is meaningless.
    What do you consider a hallmark of Paul Ryan's intelligence?
  7. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    22 Sep '14 14:001 edit
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    What do you consider a hallmark of Paul Ryan's intelligence?
    The way he speaks, the grasp he has on budgetary and economic policy, his proficiency at producing proposals and generating ideas, the way in which he can conduct interviews and his ability answer hardball questions quickly and from memory without resorting to talking points, etc.

Obviously the wisdom of his ideas (or lack thereof, at times), bears little relationship to intelligence.
  8. Germany
    Moves
    22 Sep '14 14:12
    The way he speaks, the grasp he has on budgetary and economic policy, his proficiency at producing proposals and generating ideas, the way in which he can conduct interviews and his ability answer hardball questions quickly and from memory without resorting to talking points, etc.

Obviously the wisdom of his ideas (or lack thereof, at times), bears little relationship to intelligence.
    Paul Ryan is a Randian libertarian, so a "lack of wisdom" is a bit of an understatement. I suppose it depends on how much you value critical thinking skills and an ability to absorb knowledge as aspects of intelligence.
  9. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    22 Sep '14 14:23
    It's impossible to answer the question until one defines "first-rate man" and "mediocre." First rate or mediocre at what? Intelligence? Charisma? Moral clarity? What criteria are important and ones that leaders tend to be bad at? Clinton was shrewd and flexible, but lacked moral clarity. Bush had the courage of his convictions but lacked wisdom. Obama has chari ...[text shortened]... hout a clearer definition as to the criteria to which the quote is referring, it is meaningless.
    Which is a prime example as to why the President, or any man, should have too much power.
  10. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    22 Sep '14 14:24
    Paul Ryan is a Randian libertarian, so a "lack of wisdom" is a bit of an understatement. I suppose it depends on how much you value critical thinking skills and an ability to absorb knowledge as aspects of intelligence.
    Instead, we should trust the wisdom of a president that gives arms and money to Syrian rebels so that they can fight ISIS for us?
  11. Germany
    Moves
    22 Sep '14 14:31
    Originally posted by whodey
    Which is a prime example as to why the President, or any man, should have too much power.
    What a pity the constitution gives so much power to the President, eh?
  12. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    22 Sep '14 14:53
    What a pity the constitution gives so much power to the President, eh?
    The Constitution didn't. It gave him no Executive Orders and it did not create an entire 4rth branch of government with an army of nonelected regulators that are akin to lawmakers. Nor does it give him the right to ignore laws, laws he himself passes.
  13. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    22 Sep '14 16:33
    Impugning the intelligence of people for nothing more than holding political or philosophical ideas that differ from one's own is a very dangerous game.
  14. Germany
    Moves
    22 Sep '14 16:48
    Impugning the intelligence of people for nothing more than holding political or philosophical ideas that differ from one's own is a very dangerous game.
    Although not quite as dangerous as taking bizarre ideas seriously. Reasonable disagreement is one thing, but lending credence to loopy BS gives people the mistaken impression that these ideas have merit.
  15. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    22 Sep '14 16:55
    "If I were reincarnated I would wish to be returned to earth as a killer virus to lower human population levels.”

― H.R.H. Prince Philip

http://www.goodreads.com/quotes/162685-if-i-were-reincarnated-i-would-wish-to-be-returned

War needs to be justified so the Prince can sleep well at night.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree