1. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    04 Sep '14 16:09
    Yelp can manipulate ratings, court rules

By Bob Egelko, San Francisco Chronicle staff writer

September 3, 2014 | Updated: September 4, 2014 8:24am

David Paul Morris, Bloomberg

Yelp has long faced accusations that it manipulates its business-review ratings to sell advertising - five stars for a big ad buy, say, and two stars for a turndown.

The verdict from a federal appeals court: There's nothing illegal about that.

Court ruling:

http://cdn.ca9.uscourts.gov/datastore/opinions/2014/09/02/11-17676.pdf
  2. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    09 Sep '14 16:45
    Originally posted by JS357
    Yelp can manipulate ratings, court rules

By Bob Egelko, San Francisco Chronicle staff writer

September 3, 2014 | Updated: September 4, 2014 8:24am

David Paul Morris, Bloomberg

Yelp has long faced accusations that it manipulates its business-review ratings to sell advertising - five stars for a big ad buy, say, and two stars for a turndown.

The v ...[text shortened]... that.

Court ruling:

http://cdn.ca9.uscourts.gov/datastore/opinions/2014/09/02/11-17676.pdf
    I've often thought that such services as Yelp, or Angie's list had a potential for abuse. If they can legally manipulate the reports of consumers, that's a problem which compromises their integrity and reputation.
  3. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    09 Sep '14 17:19
    Anonymous ratings are worthless anyway. They could easily be the competition ripping the company or an employee praising it. Anyone who relies on anonymous ratings deserves to have them manipulated.
  4. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    09 Sep '14 23:01
    Originally posted by sh76
    Anonymous ratings are worthless anyway. They could easily be the competition ripping the company or an employee praising it. Anyone who relies on anonymous ratings deserves to have them manipulated.
    How about ratings of consumers which websites often publish? They seem at least to somewhat represent the ideas of those who have bought the product. I've checked and found my reports and ratings in tact years later, both favorable and unfavorable.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree