1. Joined
    13 Jun '10
    Moves
    16 Apr '14 01:40
    I am looking for any recommendations for a chess app for playing OTB.
    I need it to:
    - record moves (to give me PGN)
    - keep track of time (time control)
    - allow takeback if move made in error (slip of the finger)
    - option to disable any other features (like invalid move, check, checkmate etc) so there is no "assistance"

I like playing shorter games OTB (20 minutes), but its sometimes difficult to record moves, especially near the end. Obviously this is only going to work if your opponent agrees to using it.

I tried searching on the web but didn't find what i was after
    Any app recommendations?

Also on another note, for people who play OTB at a club or whatever, who would accept playing low-key games on a tablet? assuming you could be sure there was no assistance going on.
  2. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    16 Apr '14 01:44
    Originally posted by delnz
    I need it to:
    - option to disable any other features (like invalid move, check, checkmate etc) so there is no "assistance"

I like playing shorter games OTB ...[text shortened]... playing low-key games on a tablet? assuming you could be sure there was no assistance going on.
    A pen and scoresheet 😕
  3. Joined
    13 Jun '10
    Moves
    16 Apr '14 02:26
    Yeah - i already use a pen and scoresheet, cos i like to look back through the games etc. Its just a bit tricky once time gets short. Most people i see playing don't record if its 25 minutes or less.

I will count you as a no then :-)
  4. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    16 Apr '14 02:37
    Yeah - i already use a pen and scoresheet, cos i like to look back through the games etc. Its just a bit tricky once time gets short. Most people i see playing don't record if its 25 minutes or less.

Monroi is far too expensive for most players. If an organization has approved some phone app for recording games and you can do it within the rules, great. I am an old school player and like a scoresheet. Don't much care about the time etc.
  5. SubscriberLittleDonkey
    Little Donkey
    Moves
    16 Apr '14 20:48

OTB rules say you should record your moves unless you have less than five minutes remaining and once you reach the time control you must use your own time to catch up. You should insist that your opponents play by the rules and then it won`t smart so much when they object to your use of an electronic device.
  6. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    16 Apr '14 20:58
    Originally posted by LittleDonkey
    OTB rules say you should record your moves unless you have less than five minutes remaining and once you reach the time control you must use your own time to catch up. You should insist that your opponents play by the rules and then it won`t smart so much when they object to your use of an electronic device.
    Hey LD, long time no see my friend.
  7. Standard memberbyedidia
    Mister Why
    San Carlos, CA
    Moves
    16 Apr '14 22:18
    I need it to:

I like playing shorter games OTB ...[text shortened]... playing low-key games on a tablet? assuming you could be sure there was no assistance going on.
    Prop the tablet up on a stand and use the video camera to record your game.
  8. Joined
    13 Jun '10
    Moves
    16 Apr '14 23:03
    I think i didn't explain something clearly enough.

I mean dispense with the wooden board, wooden pieces, and electronic timer clock, and both players move the graphical pieces on the one tablet.

Its not for everyone (cue reactionary jibes) but that is what i am interested in finding out. I don't have any special affinity for the physical board, and I think a software board would have some advantages if you can find the right approach.

There are some chess recorder apps out there, but I am looking for an electronic playing surface I guess.
  9. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    17 Apr '14 09:07
    I need it to:

Not a bad idea, as long as the format can be agreed upon by all players.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree