1. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    06 Apr '14 03:002 edits
    Listen to any republican these days, and you'll hear all about those lazy, welfare sucking, anti american, liberals that sit around and let the fine, hard working christian republicans carry the load. To listen to speeches by those fine, pure christian conservative lawmakers and you'll hear all about self reliance, hard work, a fair days work for their pay, taking handouts from the government is an abomination, a blight on our way of life. etc. etc. etc. Lost in all these soapbox speeches is the fact that it is republican controlled states that depend most on handouts from the federal government. These states can afford to lower state taxes because the federal government frequently makes up for the lost revenue. So next time you hear a conservative give one of his Rush Limbaugh speeches to those lazy liberals, take a long look at who's really feeding at the government trough.😲:

http://wallstcheatsheet.com/personal-finance/10-states-most-dependent-on-the-federal-government.html/?a=viewall
  2. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    06 Apr '14 03:05
    Originally posted by bill718
    Listen to any republican these days, and you'll hear all about those lazy, welfare sucking, anti american, liberals that sit around and let the fine, hard working christian republicans carry the load. To listen to speeches by those fine, pure christian conservative lawmakers and you'll hear all about self reliance, hard work, a fair days work for their pay, ...[text shortened]... eatsheet.com/personal-finance/10-states-most-dependent-on-the-federal-government.html/?a=viewall
    Indeed. The richest of the rich live in uber liberal states. The liberals rule the roost. They must laugh as their conservative slaves stampede over each other trying to obtain their bowl of entitlement porridge.
  3. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    06 Apr '14 18:13
    Originally posted by whodey
    Indeed. The richest of the rich live in uber liberal states. The liberals rule the roost. They must laugh as their conservative slaves stampede over each other trying to obtain their bowl of entitlement porridge.
    No better way to enslave the poor than to offer them gold at the end of the rainbow.
  4. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    06 Apr '14 18:43
    Listen to any republican these days, and you'll hear all about those lazy, welfare sucking, anti american, liberals that sit around and let the fine, hard working christian republicans carry the load. To listen to speeches by those fine, pure christian conservative lawmakers and you'll hear all about self reliance, hard work, a fair days work for their pay, ...[text shortened]... eatsheet.com/personal-finance/10-states-most-dependent-on-the-federal-government.html/?a=viewall
    Most of the top ten States in your list are at best for your argument purple States, some outright blue.

I really don't know how anyone can calculate Return on Taxpayer investment. The middle stat appears fairly easy to collect but not really relevant to anything. And the number of Federal employees only indicates where military bases and other federal sites are located.
  5. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    06 Apr '14 22:521 edit
    I don't think its a coincidence that none of those states, save for Arizona (#10), have a major city in them (New Orleans is not a major city as far as economics and commerce is concerned). The major centers of commerce have the wealthiest people and the wealthiest people pay the most income tax. I don't think this list says much about politics.
  6. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    06 Apr '14 23:23
    Originally posted by sh76
    I don't think its a coincidence that none of those states, save for Arizona (#10), have a major city in them (New Orleans is not a major city as far as economics and commerce is concerned). The major centers of commerce have the wealthiest people and the wealthiest people pay the most income tax. I don't think this list says much about politics.
    Major cities tend almost always to be blue. Even NO which you say isn't a major city is heavily blue, and famous for its dependency. New York is blue around NYC, but red out state.
  7. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    06 Apr '14 23:291 edit
    Another way to look at this is whether a state is a net donor or net donee of federal funding.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_taxation_and_spending_by_state

The article explores potential reasons for specific cases. Looking at the data is just a start.
  8. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    06 Apr '14 23:38
    Originally posted by JS357
    Another way to look at this is whether a state is a net donor or net donee of federal funding.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_taxation_and_spending_by_state

The article explors potential reasons for specific cases. Looking at the data is just a start.
    I suspect that no State gets more than it gives in Federal taxes. I've only looked at gasoline taxes, and a State is doing well if it gets 70% back. The bureaucracy eats up too much of the collected revenue.
  9. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    07 Apr '14 00:111 edit
    Originally posted by normbenign
    I suspect that no State gets more than it gives in Federal taxes. I've only looked at gasoline taxes, and a State is doing well if it gets 70% back. The bureaucracy eats up too much of the collected revenue.
    Most of the costs of federal administration of monies going to a state (bureaucracy) count as federal payroll paid to its employees in that state (or DC), at least in the link I cited. However, administration of monies once allocated from the federal gov't is often by state employees. This does not detract from the notion that administrative (bureaucratic) costs are a measure of inefficiency. They might also be considered a part of the welfare system by giving out jobs.
  10. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    07 Apr '14 16:29
    Most of the costs of federal administration of monies going to a state (bureaucracy) count as federal payroll paid to its employees in that state (or DC), at least in the link I cited. However, administration of monies once allocated from the federal gov't is often by state employees. This does not detract from the notion that administrative (bureaucratic) cos ...[text shortened]... of inefficiency. They might also be considered a part of the welfare system by giving out jobs.
    Nice of you to make the connection between government jobs and welfare. Now if you can convince your leftist brethren that a government job is nothing more than welfare we might be able to make real change.
  11. Standard membersasquatch672
    Don't Like It Leave
    Walking the earth.
    Moves
    07 Apr '14 16:56
    Originally posted by Eladar
    Nice of you to make the connection between government jobs and welfare. Now if you can convince your leftist brethren that a government job is nothing more than welfare we might be able to make real change.
    I spent five years working for the single most businesslike command in the Navy (the command won many awards for efficiency, forward thinking, and prudent stewardship of funds). My code employed about fourteen people, with enough work for three, maybe four if we were swamped. One guy in the code took a nap every day from 1:30 - 2:30, after his lunch from 11:30 - 1:30. He'd head home at 3. My supervisor had to be woken up by our boss to be told he was being promoted to GS-13. The kids in the code never showed up later than 10 AM, and they stayed until at least 2 PM, some days even 2:30.
  12. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    08 Apr '14 22:09
    Originally posted by sasquatch672
    I spent five years working for the single most businesslike command in the Navy (the command won many awards for efficiency, forward thinking, and prudent stewardship of funds). My code employed about fourteen people, with enough work for three, maybe four if we were swamped. One guy in the code took a nap every day from 1:30 - 2:30, after his lunch f ...[text shortened]... code never showed up later than 10 AM, and they stayed until at least 2 PM, some days even 2:30.
    A global force for good 4 hours a day if not taking a nap.
  13. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    08 Apr '14 22:56
    Originally posted by sasquatch672
    I spent five years working for the single most businesslike command in the Navy (the command won many awards for efficiency, forward thinking, and prudent stewardship of funds). My code employed about fourteen people, with enough work for three, maybe four if we were swamped. One guy in the code took a nap every day from 1:30 - 2:30, after his lunch f ...[text shortened]... code never showed up later than 10 AM, and they stayed until at least 2 PM, some days even 2:30.
    I could tell you of similar instances in the private sector, including naps, other forms of time spend not working, supervisor complicity, etc.
  14. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    10 Apr '14 18:56
    I could tell you of similar instances in the private sector, including naps, other forms of time spend not working, supervisor complicity, etc.
    The bigger the organization public or private the more likely that sort of thing is. That is the advantage that small, focused companies have over the behemoths. Eventually, the big ones come down, minus bailouts.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree