1. Joined
    21 Nov '14
    Moves
    07 Jan '15 16:19
    The player who has the Honor of being at the top of the rating list is ULF T at 2470. Where does Master class start ?-on some websites it is at 2200. Between 2000 and 2000 is Expert....below 2000 are the Class A, Class B, & so on. Maybe the Masters should have a star next to our names....some designation...
  2. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    07 Jan '15 19:112 edits
    Originally posted by woadman (C)
    The player who has the Honor of being at the top of the rating list is ULF T at 2470. Where does Master class start ?-on some websites it is at 2200. Between 2000 and 2000 is Expert....below 2000 are the Class A, Class B, & so on. Maybe the Masters should have a star next to our names....some designation...
    Perhaps a (C) after your name would be fitting. 😀

Edit: yep, added it in the quote box and it feels about right.
  3. Joined
    21 Nov '14
    Moves
    07 Jan '15 19:49
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    Perhaps a (C) [b]after your name would be fitting. 😀

Edit: yep, added it in the quote box and it feels about right.[/b]
    well since I am Master rated at all the other places I've played at..it was a slip of the fingers...I apologize for jumping the gun. As usual , you didnt address my question as to the rating categories...
  4. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    07 Jan '15 20:59
    My ECF rating is 125, which corresponds to a elo rating of 1,600. So if I'm representative then you need to knock 200 off the ratings here. So 2,400 corresponds roughly to an ECF national master, 2,600 to an I.M. and 2,700 to a G.M..

But I'm probably a stronger correspondence player than I am an over the board player and this is based on a statistical sample of one. So apply a pinch of salt to that conclusion.
  5. Joined
    21 Nov '14
    Moves
    08 Jan '15 03:52
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    My ECF rating is 125, which corresponds to a elo rating of 1,600. So if I'm representative then you need to knock 200 off the ratings here. So 2,400 corresponds roughly to an ECF national master, 2,600 to an I.M. and 2,700 to a G.M..

But I'm probably a stronger correspondence player than I am an over the board player and this is based on a statistical sample of one. So apply a pinch of salt to that conclusion.
    Sorry your math makes no sense..are you saying the highest rated player at this site (2470) Ulf T (who deserves a great deal of respect) is barely above an expert ?
  6. Joined
    15 Aug '12
    Moves
    08 Jan '15 04:392 edits
    Originally posted by woadman
    Player? And deserves respect???

Ulf T was rated 1400ish less than 2 years ago. I think we all can surmise how this progress was made. Again, very 'surprised' this would slip an apparent master's notice...
  7. Joined
    21 Nov '14
    Moves
    08 Jan '15 04:55
    Originally posted by King Tiger

Ulf T was rated 1400ish less than 2 years ago. I think we all can surmise how this progress was made. Again, very 'surprised' this would slip an apparent master's notice...
    Hello..I haven't been here two years....
  8. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    08 Jan '15 05:00
    Hello..I haven't been here two years....
    Hello...he wasn't talking about you. 🙄
  9. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    08 Jan '15 06:502 edits
    Originally posted by King Tiger

Try 7 months ago. Not sure why you begrudge him his well-earned respect. It's entirely feasible to gain 1000 rating points in less than one year. 😵

Edit: and this after being a 1400 player for 6 years. It's like one day he just woke up and said, "time to stop sucking and be awesome instead!"
  10. Joined
    21 Nov '14
    Moves
    08 Jan '15 15:23
    King Tiger--I just found your rating at the bottom of page one---2337. OK-- so what Category player are you? Does 2337 represent the title of Master? What about Expert--what number starts the Expert class? N0-one here seems to know what the ratings mean.
  11. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    08 Jan '15 15:32
    King Tiger--I just found your rating at the bottom of page one---2337. OK-- so what Category player are you? Does 2337 represent the title of Master? What about Expert--what number starts the Expert class? N0-one here seems to know what the ratings mean.
    In fact a lot of people know about what the ratings here mean:

Near to nothing.

1. It was not unheard of that people around with comparatively high ratings were banned because computer assistence was probable to the brink of certainity.

2. The rating is gained from the players in the rating pool. If you look up the ratings of people (here) on the site and in their different clubs you will see some differences.

2a. Some people play the same opponents over and over the obtained rating is next to worthless.

3. We would need some yardsticks to estimate the validity of ratings. That means we would need some people who have quite constant ratings on this site and from their Chess federations to estimate the difference in ratings. BUT since the points lost against computer opponents are lost and since some players won't play opponents who are thought to be non-humans, this yardsticks are not of much value either.

But this comes from a real mediocre player.
  12. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    08 Jan '15 15:57
    Notice that King Tiger claims an old 2138 OTB rating, and has a rating of 2338 here, fitting closely into my formula. To get a fide estimate you need to knock 200 off the rating from this site.
  13. Joined
    21 Nov '14
    Moves
    08 Jan '15 16:27
    Notice that King Tiger claims an old 2138 OTB rating, and has a rating of 2338 here, fitting closely into my formula. To get a fide estimate you need to knock 200 off the rating from this site.
    What I am asking is not FIDE or OTB but RHP title. Russ needs to define what the ratings mean since he has assigned ratings to the players. I would like to know what class category opponent I'm playing H-E-R-E on RedHotPawn website. Or Chess-at-Work or ImmortalGame. This is a great website, but Perhaps--Russ has dropped the ball !
  14. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    08 Jan '15 16:45
    The situation is too complicated for a simple subtraction to suffice. FIDE ratings have inflated more than RHP ratings, for one. When the highest player in one pool is 2400+ and in the other it is 2800+, with perhaps 10 people or more able to reach 2700+, this is made clear.
  15. Joined
    21 Nov '14
    Moves
    08 Jan '15 16:53
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    The situation is too complicated for a simple subtraction to suffice. FIDE ratings have inflated more than RHP ratings, for one. When the highest player in one pool is 2400+ and in the other it is 2800+, with perhaps 10 people or more able to reach 2700+, this is made clear.
    Yes the statistics can get complicated but NOT here on RHP. Russ simply needs to establish any class categories that he deems fit. Class A 1800--2000. Expert 2000--2400, Master 2400 + . Regardless of what any off-site rating systems might imply--the RHP categories are for RHP only.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree