1. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    20 Apr '14 17:15
    7 chess quotes. Name the person who said each one.

1. "He deals with us like inexperienced fledglings."
    2. "I may be an old lion, but I can still bite someone's hand off if he puts it in my mouth."
    3. "If I win a tournament, I win it by myself. I do the playing. Nobody helps me."
    4. "The boy doesn't have a clue about chess, and there's no future at all for him in this profession." (who said it, and who was he talking about?)
    5. "To you, Herr Lasker, I have only three words to say: Check and mate!"
    6. "I can see Alekhine's combinations. I just don't know how he gets the positions to make them!"
    7. "Fischer is Fischer, but a Knight is a Knight!"
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    20 Apr '14 17:21
    2. Lasker?

4. some Russian ches trainer about Karpov?

7. Larsen?
  3. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    20 Apr '14 17:44
    Originally posted by vandervelde
    2. Lasker?

4. some Russian ches trainer about Karpov?

7. Larsen?
    2. No
    4. Close
    7. No
  4. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    20 Apr '14 18:01
    1. "He deals with us like inexperienced fledglings." Nimzowitsch, speaking of Alekhine
    2. "I may be an old lion, but I can still bite someone's hand off if he puts it in my mouth." Steinitz
    3. "If I win a tournament, I win it by myself. I do the playing. Nobody helps me." Fischer
    4. "The boy doesn't have a clue about chess, and there's no future at all for him in this profession." (who said it, and who was he talking about?) Botvinnik referring to Karpov
    5. "To you, Herr Lasker, I have only three words to say: Check and mate!" Tarrasch
    6. "I can see Alekhine's combinations. I just don't know how he gets the positions to make them!" Dunno-- I'll guess Bogo
    7. "Fischer is Fischer, but a Knight is a Knight!" Tal

Now one for you: Who said "His opponents play against him as if hypnotized" and to whom was he referring?
  5. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    20 Apr '14 18:594 edits
    Originally posted by moonbus
    1. "He deals with us like inexperienced fledglings." Nimzowitsch, speaking of Alekhine
    2. "I may be an old lion, but I can still bite someone's hand off if he puts it in my mouth." Steinitz
    3. "If I win a tournament, I win it by myself. I do the playing. Nobody helps me." Fischer
    4. "The boy doesn't have a clue about chess, and there's no future at all fo ...[text shortened]... or you: Who said "His opponents play against him as if hypnotized" and to whom was he referring?
    6. no
    Others. Correct

For your Q, I'll guess that Petrosian said it about Fischer.

Edit: and a quick consult with Mr. Google reveals that I am hopelessly wrong, hahaha.

EditX: it seems that has been a popular quote to recycle. Benko borrowed it after Nona Gaprindashvili won Lone Pine.
  6. e4
    Moves
    20 Apr '14 21:291 edit
    4. "The boy doesn't have a clue about chess, and there's no future at all
    for him in this profession." (who said it, and who was he talking about?)

Botvinnnik on Kaprov.

Janowski on the young Reshesky is good. Mid game Janowski said to Ed Lasker.
    "He knows as much about chess as I do about rope dancing?"
    Janowski chucked his win and lost.

5. "To you, Herr Lasker, I have only three words to say: Check and mate!"

That was Tarrasch.

6. "I can see Alekhine's combinations. I just don't know how he gets the positions to make them!"

That was Rudolph Spielmann

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree