This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

2. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    08 May '15 18:21
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    I'm not a fan of Putin, but his leadership has brought about a better economy for the Russian people, and a sense of national pride that was badly depressed after the fall of the Soviet Union. Putin's Government is corrupt, and the Russian people have lost some of their freedoms, but they fare better economically.
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    08 May '15 18:34
    Just out of curiosity, what was Hitler's approval rating at his peak, or is that info available?

I think people love dictators, just so long as they like what they are doing.
  4. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    08 May '15 19:11
    Originally posted by bill718
    I'm not a fan of Putin, but his leadership has brought about a better economy for the Russian people, and a sense of national pride that was badly depressed after the fall of the Soviet Union. Putin's Government is corrupt, and the Russian people have lost some of their freedoms, but they fare better economically.
    And again, people idiotically valuing economics over everything else.

Try being gay in Moscow and get back to us.

Or just try to voice a dissenting view to that of Putin and The Party.

Or perhaps you would like to be a citizen of a neighbouring country wondering if you
    are about to be annexed or thrown into a civil war because Putin doesn't like how
    your election turned out.

I despise whodey, but his post is right on point.

Hitler did great things for the German economy and people [as long as you weren't Jewish,
    an atheist, or any other disliked minority group, or stood up to Hitler, ect ect]
    until they
    started loosing the war.

Those 'freedoms' they have given up are VITAL freedoms people over the centuries have fought
    and died for.

And yet people seem ready to give them up for a better economic stimulus package.
  5. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    08 May '15 20:18
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    And again, people idiotically valuing economics over everything else.

Try being gay in Moscow and get back to us.

Or just try to voice a dissenting view to that of Putin and The Party.

Or perhaps you would like to be a citizen of a neighbouring country wondering if you
    are about to be annexed or thrown into a civil war because Putin doesn't ...[text shortened]... d died for.

And yet people seem ready to give them up for a better economic stimulus package.
    Calm down googlefudge, I'm not endorsing Putin in any way, I'm just stating facts.
  6. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    08 May '15 20:58
    Originally posted by bill718
    Calm down googlefudge, I'm not endorsing Putin in any way, I'm just stating facts.
    Ahh, but the facts you choose to state says something more than just the facts themselves.
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    08 May '15 21:181 edit

8. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    08 May '15 22:06
    Turing was not a suicide. The only reason that suicide was entered as the cause of death was the prejudice of the coroner: "these people [homosexuals] are hysterical" or words to that effect. His mother was not of the opinion that he committed suicide and he reportedly was in quite good spirits despite the chemical program they put him on.

His hobby was gold electroplating of spoons. This involves the use of cyanide and he was notoriously slack about safety. The medical evidence indicates inhalation rather than ingestion as the mode the poison entered his body.

I think that it is an insult to his memory to call him a suicide, the guy was pretty tough and not "hysterical" at all. His death was either accidental or by misadventure. His sexuality should not have been illegal in the first place and the conviction should not have occurred, but he did not commit suicide.
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    08 May '15 22:26

10. Account suspended
    Moves
    08 May '15 22:481 edit

11. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    08 May '15 23:02
    This is the basic contradiction. Without Putin Russia would still be in the state of tinpottery that Yeltsin left it in, with Putin they are being run by the secret police.
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    09 May '15 18:292 edits

13. Account suspended
    Moves
    09 May '15 18:36

14. Account suspended
    Moves
    09 May '15 18:471 edit

15. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    09 May '15 19:28
    Anyone who can promise the glory and respect of the elder days will be loved by the population. It worked for Hitler too, as well as other dictators.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree