1. Joined
    23 Jun '14
    Moves
    21 Aug '14 17:43
    Why is this feature locked to nonsubscribers?

I'm not a subscriber, but I'm still a human with other commitments that come up from time to time. I have a wedding across the country to go to in 5 weeks and I will certainly time out in my games during that period. It is completely unfair that free users shouldn't at least have a diminished vacation capacity.

Even if it was something as little as 7 days a year. That would at least enable a huge drastic situation to not result in timing out.

What am I meant to do???!/??

Is paying you money literally the only way to avoid this disaster? Because if so, you can be assured that that, more than anything, will be the reason I NEVER subscribe to a premium membership.

I am fuming right now. This type of featurelock is the most outdated, primitive, and short-sighted business model.
  2. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    21 Aug '14 18:36
    Originally posted by AptPatzer

Is paying you money literally the only way to avoid this disaster? Because if so, you can be assured that that, more than anything, will be the reason I NEVER subscribe to a premium membership.

I am fuming right now. This type of featurelock is the most outdated, primitive, and short-sighted business model.
    Your opponents do not have to claim a time-out victory. It is just an option in regular games. Explain your situation and ask if they will wait.
  3. New Braunfels, Texas
    Moves
    22 Aug '14 03:08
    You have 5 weeks to bring your game load down to 0, so you can enjoy your trip without worry of lost games, if that is what you wish to do. Internet access is as close as any McDonald's/Starbucks/Barns&Nobles any where you travel plus hundreds of hotels. It won't take long to catch up on your 6 game max load at any of these locations.

I've been paying my yearly subscription here for 7 years and I think it is worth every penny with tournaments, vacation, unlimited games and clans as part of the package.

Congratulations on your 12-0 record here, but I did notice that 3 of your wins were by timeout. Perhaps your opponents needed more time before you dropped the skull on them?
  4. Joined
    23 Jun '14
    Moves
    22 Aug '14 04:153 edits
    I am completely uninterested in any option where I'm at my opponent's mercy.

If my time expires I fully expect for them to let my flag fall.

And if my opponents exceed their allotted time and I am around then I'll kick their flag to the ground without the slightest hesitation.

I *may* be able to bring my game load to zero by the time I depart for wedding. But that is by no means a certainty. And I need a legitimate means for expanding my time pool.

It's not so much that I lack the option. It's that the option is feature locked to subscribers.

Why not give nonsubscribers a little bit of time for extenuating circumstances?

All you guys can do is defend this site because you're entrenched in its policy and structure because you're fanboys.

RHP is not my favorite correspondence site. It is my least favorite of the four I play on.

The other three have every single feature this site has and more. And offer a lot more to nonsubscribers.

But even on my favorite site, when I have a complaint or see a flaw, suffers my vocality.

Because I'm rational and objective.

Anyone else who was would see that having zero vacation time is unfair and unreasonable. I will need to downgrade my play significantly to try to blitz out these games and hope my opponents are as trashy as one would expect at the absurdly low rating I'm being held at due to the primitive and ineffective provisional calculation employed by this site.

"maybe they won't claim win on time" <- Ha ha ha. Utterly absurd. Imbecilic. I don't drive in dangerous lanes on the road because I'd rather not give someone else control over whether I live or die either.
  5. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    22 Aug '14 05:242 edits
    You have the right to use the site facilities to complain about features of this site, even though you've paid not one cent towards its upkeep. Or, I'm sure, to any of the other chess sites you claim the right to use.

I suppose you feel that you're ENTITLED, and the world owes you.
  6. SubscriberC J Horse
    A stable personality
    Near my hay.
    Moves
    22 Aug '14 06:29
    ... This type of featurelock is the most outdated, primitive, and short-sighted business model.
    Why do so many people on the internet think that everything in the world should be available to them for a cost of absolutely zilch? If you want the full functionality of the site, then you will have to PAY for it!

A sensible business model isn't based on your customers not paying. The ads which you non-subs have to view produce a small bit of revenue, but if you think it's enough to keep the site running - then you are thoroughly mistaken.
  7. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    22 Aug '14 09:31
    I am completely uninterested in any option where I'm at my opponent's mercy.

If my time expires I fully expect for them to let my flag fall.

And if my opponents exceed their allotted time and I am around then I'll kick their flag to the ground without the slightest hesitation.

I *may* be able to bring my game load to zero by the time I depart for ...[text shortened]... on the road because I'd rather not give someone else control over whether I live or die either.
    You know, just to match your own attitude and sense of entitlement, all I have to say to you then is don't let the door hit you in the butt on your way out.
  8. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    22 Aug '14 10:12
    Why is this feature locked to nonsubscribers?

It's sickening!

My local pub is similar - if I don't subscribe all I get is a glass of water and a seat while subscribers get alcoholic drinks and use of the toilet.
  9. Donationketchuplover
    Isolated Pawn
    Wisconsin USA
    Moves
    22 Aug '14 11:571 edit
    Have you tried a longer TIME BANK in your games?
  10. Donationketchuplover
    Isolated Pawn
    Wisconsin USA
    Moves
    22 Aug '14 12:15
    I'm a former subscriber (current non-subscriber) I am allowed up to 36 days vacation. I think never subscribers should get 14 days.
  11. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    22 Aug '14 13:361 edit
    It's not so much that I lack the option. It's that the option is feature locked to subscribers.

Why not give nonsubscribers a little bit of time for extenuating circumstances?

All you guys can do is defend this site because you're entrenched in its policy and structure because you're fanboys.

RHP is not my favorite correspondence site. It is my le ...[text shortened]... three have every single feature this site has and more. And offer a lot more to nonsubscribers.
    Are you aware that all members (subscribers or non-subscribers) can create a game with up to 49 days to move that does not involve using any vacation days? Just stick to games with the maximum time-out and time bank settings.

From your responses here it sounds like you didn't come to this forum for help, but just to whine. If you're so happy with other sites and so unhappy with this one, why are you even still here?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree