1. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    27 Aug '14 16:42
    Any chessplayers here at RHP using the Bangiev method in playing chess ?

A long time ago there used to be a thread at RHP discussing this subject.

http://www.redhotpawn.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=55860&page=2
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    27 Aug '14 19:28
    Originally posted by ivanhoe

I was using it but gave it up for a more orthodox approach, there are some elements that even after study remained unclear.
  3. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    27 Aug '14 19:30

Never heard of this so I looked at a 15 minute you tube video.
    I would have thought that looking for weak squares in your opponents position is part of the strategy you employ in any chess game.
    I think looking for equilateral triangles on the board just complicates matters.
    Maybe thats why my rhp rating is anchored in the 1500's with an occasional drop below!!
  4. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    27 Aug '14 20:30
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    I was using it but gave it up for a more orthodox approach, there are some elements that even after study remained unclear.
    I see .... It is indeed a problem that there is no trainer who can explain things that one doesn't understand ... There should be a site/blog or whatever for players using the Bangiev method with trainers/players who are capable of explaining things.

Which were the things that remained unclear to you ?
  5. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    27 Aug '14 20:37
    Originally posted by venda
    I would have thought that looking for weak squares in your opponents position is part of the strategy you employ in any chess game.
    I think looking for equilateral triangles on the board just complicates matters.
    Maybe thats why my rhp rating is anchored in the 1500's with an occasional drop below!!
    Yes, you are correct ... square complexes are part of chess ... not just part of the Bangiev method. The Bangiev method is a method of finding candidate moves.
  6. New Braunfels, Texas
    Moves
    28 Aug '14 00:37
    Does your rating graph reflect this method or something else? Serious question.

http://www.redhotpawn.com/chess-player/ivanhoe#
  7. Standard memberthaughbaer
    Duckfinder General
    223b Baker Street
    Moves
    28 Aug '14 15:21
    Originally posted by MontyMoose

Lots of timeouts and a 2 year hiatus by the looks of it.
  8. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    28 Aug '14 16:51
    Originally posted by MontyMoose

Hahaha ... no .. I stopped playing .. I was forced due to health problems, but now I have decided to give it a go again.
  9. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    28 Aug '14 23:04
    I found some excellent vids on the Bangiev method on youtoube ... I was wondering if they were posted by you, Robbie ?

YouTube&list=PLkioLm3kWm6YFNwghbol3PPx_j7j9ooYN&index=8
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    29 Aug '14 19:381 edit
    I found some excellent vids on the Bangiev method on youtoube ... I was wondering if they were posted by you, Robbie ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Q92Aq_dJus&list=PLkioLm3kWm6YFNwghbol3PPx_j7j9ooYN&index=8
    yes Ivanhoe, that is my chess channel, MSK Chess, but the quality of those videos is really bad, i am somewhat embarrassed but i was using a very poor audio card and experimenting with different microphones and had no video editor other than Windows movie maker which is pretty pathetic. Since switching to Linux, buying an awesome audio card and using a mixing desk with a good quality Rhode microphone and an awesome open source video editor my videos are all HD quality, even if the presentation is poor or the quality of the games lacking.

But to the point, yes i love the concept of the theory, I thought I had grasped it until i tried to explain it to other people and i found out that when they asked me questions i did not really understand it. I get confused when the strategy changes, i am unsure even sometimes what the strategy is, whether its light squared or dark. I am quite poor at identifying weak complexes, i dunno, I have no talent for chess and should really give up to be honest and i mean that sincerely.
  11. Standard memberthaughbaer
    Duckfinder General
    223b Baker Street
    Moves
    29 Aug '14 20:261 edit
    Since switching to Linux,
    You da man.

I can't help but notice that in the Dynamic Pawn Duo your voice seems to have changed from a low Scots drawl to Bart Simpson on acid. Crushed nuts ?
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    29 Aug '14 20:45
    Originally posted by thaughbaer
    You da man.

I can't help but notice that in the Dynamic Pawn Duo your voice seems to have changed from a low Scots drawl to Bart Simpson on acid. Crushed nuts ?
    Stress my friend of having a crazy wife and a mental family.
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    30 Aug '14 08:37
    Originally posted by venda
    its not about equilateral triangles, its about squares and their relative weaknesses and ability to attack/defend certain areas
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    30 Aug '14 14:30
    Does he sell miracle teas, elixirs, talismans, and devices against bad geomagnetic radiation?
  15. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    02 Sep '14 18:37
    yes Ivanhoe, that is my chess channel, MSK Chess, but the quality of those videos is really bad, i am somewhat embarrassed but i was using a very poor audio card and experimenting with different microphones and had no video editor other than Windows movie maker which is pretty pathetic. Since switching to Linux, buying an awesome audio card and usin ...[text shortened]... no, I have no talent for chess and should really give up to be honest and i mean that sincerely.
    Oh my ... I like your vids on the Bangiev method very much. The problems you're facing are inherent to playing chess, I guess. It is true that in very complex or messed up positions establishing the strategy can be difficult, but I guess that's because chess can be complicated. The way you presented the vids is great. You certainly have talent for this .. What a pity you decided to stop using the Bangiev method and posting vids about the subject. The B-method gives me so much more pleasure in playing chess. Sometimes I even know what I'm doing in a given position .... lol ... thanks to the Bangiev method. I stopped playing some time ago due to health problems, but now I have found the energy to play again. I initiated this thread hoping to find somebody to discuss issues regarding the B-method. Players who know about the B-method are hard to find, Robbie ...

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree