1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    22 Apr '14 12:50
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/04/20/scalia-taxes_n_5182480.html

While giving a speech to a group of law students, Supreme Court Justice Scalia said that if taxes become too high, perhaps citizens should revolt. 😲

When asked if taxing income was Constitutional, he said he thought it was. Keep in mind, however, that before progressives added it to the Constitution at the turn of the 20th century, SCOTUS ruled it Unconstitutional.
  2. Joined
    23 Nov '11
    Moves
    22 Apr '14 13:02
    Originally posted by whodey
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/04/20/scalia-taxes_n_5182480.html

While giving a speech to a group of law students, Supreme Court Justice Scalia said that if taxes become too high, perhaps citizens should revolt. 😲

When asked if taxing income was Constitutional, he said he thought it was. Keep in mind, however, that before progressives added it to the Constitution at the turn of the 20th century, SCOTUS ruled it Unconstitutional.
    For those of you who oppose taxation and the infrastructure for which it pays, I suggest you try "growing" your business in Somalia as it has a very small government, few taxes and an infrastructure privately supported.
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    22 Apr '14 13:041 edit
    Originally posted by Phranny
    For those of you who oppose taxation and the infrastructure for which it pays, I suggest you try "growing" your business in Somalia as it has a very small government, few taxes and an infrastructure privately supported.
    Did I say taxation? No, I was specifically referring to income taxation. The US got along just fine without it until the turn of the 20th century.

Incidentally, the massive debt that has been built up by Obama and company has created or will create an economic crisis at some point. It is very possible that taxation will become intolerable to the masses, which was what I think Scalia was getting at.

There comes a point where saving the state makes very little sense, especially when the captives of such a state are miserable.
  4. Germany
    Moves
    22 Apr '14 13:15
    Did I say taxation? No, I was specifically referring to income taxation. The US got along just fine without it until the turn of the 20th century.

Incidentally, the massive debt that has been built up by Obama and company has created or will create an economic crisis at some point. It is very possible that taxation will become intolerable to the masses, ...[text shortened]... g the state makes very little sense, especially when the captives of such a state are miserable.
    Yes, the US got along "just fine" in 1900, which would explain its life expectancy of ~48 years. People were just so happy with their lack of income taxes they smiled themselves to death.
  5. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    22 Apr '14 13:18
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Yes, the US got along "just fine" in 1900, which would explain its life expectancy of ~48 years. People were just so happy with their lack of income taxes they smiled themselves to death.
    Are you suggesting that statism is the sole reason that life spans increased?

If so, I chose the later. Freedom is much more preferable to a long jail sentence.
  6. Standard membersasquatch672
    Don't Like It Leave
    Walking the earth.
    Moves
    22 Apr '14 13:19
    You're going to correlate higher taxes with higher life expectancy? That'a as idiotic a theory as I've heard in my life, here or anywhere else.
  7. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    22 Apr '14 13:24
    Originally posted by sasquatch672
    You're going to correlate higher taxes with higher life expectancy? That'a as idiotic a theory as I've heard in my life, here or anywhere else.
    In the past, I believe that KN has correlated higher taxation with the following.

1. Happiness
    2. Fertility
    3. Love
    4. Reason for living.
    5. And now longevity.
  8. Germany
    Moves
    22 Apr '14 13:24
    Originally posted by sasquatch672
    I thought the notion that social welfare programmes like Social Security and Medicare added to life expectancy was uncontroversial. Tax rates and life expectancy are correlated (not just in the US). Check out the data if you're interested.
  9. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    22 Apr '14 13:42
    I thought the notion that social welfare programmes like Social Security and Medicare added to life expectancy was uncontroversial. Tax rates and life expectancy are correlated (not just in the US). Check out the data if you're interested.
    There are no taxes if there is nothing to tax.

The developed world has longer life expectancies, not because of increased taxation, but because of better economies.

Now I will sit back and let KN splain to us how increased taxation has caused economic wealth. If so, then I fully expect a country like Haiti to tax the poo out of their citizens in order to pull themselves out of abject poverty.
  10. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    22 Apr '14 13:51
    Originally posted by Phranny
    We could respond to any disagreement in policy and say "if you don't like it, I suggest you try going to Somalia." I'm guessing that you'd recognize that without rolling over and accepting any tax the government wishes to ram down our throats, we could avoid being a third world nation.
  11. Germany
    Moves
    22 Apr '14 14:40
    There are no taxes if there is nothing to tax.

The developed world has longer life expectancies, not because of increased taxation, but because of better economies.

Now I will sit back and let KN splain to us how increased taxation has caused economic wealth. If so, then I fully expect a country like Haiti to tax the poo out of their citizens in order to pull themselves out of abject poverty.
    How did some economies get "better" than others?
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    22 Apr '14 15:411 edit

Incidentally, the massive debt that has been built up by Obama and company has created or will create an economic crisis at some point. It is very possible that taxation will become intolerable to the masses, ...[text shortened]... g the state makes very little sense, especially when the captives of such a state are miserable.
    Are you blaming the President for the entire debt? If not then this statement is misleading.

'the massive debt that has been built up by Obama'
  13. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    22 Apr '14 15:53
    How did some economies get "better" than others?
    Why taxation, of course.
  14. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    22 Apr '14 15:53
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Are you blaming the President for the entire debt? If not then this statement is misleading.

'the massive debt that has been built up by Obama'
    Make no mistake, Obama is an empty suit, much like "W". I view them as one in the same.
  15. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    22 Apr '14 15:59
    Make no mistake, Obama is an empty suit, much like "W". I view them as one in the same.
    Bingo.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree