1. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    26 Jun '15 22:38
    http://dailycaller.com/2015/06/26/the-silencing-paper-will-limit-anti-gay-marriage-op-eds/

You want to voice your opinion on same sex marriage? Only if it is the correct opinion.
  2. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    27 Jun '15 00:10
    Originally posted by Eladar
    http://dailycaller.com/2015/06/26/the-silencing-paper-will-limit-anti-gay-marriage-op-eds/

You want to voice your opinion on same sex marriage? Only if it is the correct opinion.
    I have often wondered if a newspaper that accepts letters to the editor for publication is a "public accommodation" in this regard and should not reject letters on the basis of the political opinions of the writers. Instead they could accept them on the basis of when received, up to a limit on space, and certain editorial standards such as libel and obscenity and whether the letters are calling for violence. Our local paper also has a limit on word count. What do you think? This would apply to neutral, left leaning, and right-leaning publications.

It would probably be an infringement on free press.
  3. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    27 Jun '15 00:14

That's not shutting down free speech anymore than a church banning swear words from the pulpit is.
  4. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    27 Jun '15 00:55

The newspaper is free to print whatever it wishes. That's what free speech is. They're under no obligation to print the ignorant opinions of fools.
  5. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    27 Jun '15 00:58
    Originally posted by rwingett
    The newspaper is free to print whatever it wishes. That's what free speech is. They're under no obligation to print the ignorant opinions of fools.
    They're under no obligation to print the ignorant opinions of fools.

Unless those fools are their editorial writers.
  6. Germany
    Moves
    27 Jun '15 10:21

So you would like to force newspapers to voice certain opinions?

You're not quite clear on the concept of "free speech," are you?
  7. Cape Town
    Moves
    27 Jun '15 11:27
    Originally posted by normbenign
    Unless those fools are their editorial writers.
    They are under no obligation to print their stuff either.
  8. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    27 Jun '15 11:423 edits
    Assuming what you say is true, the ones that write anti-gay articles are fools, it's still limiting free speech within the newspaper.

Why quantify something before reading it? That is, what if I write something anti-gay that is true? What if they throw it out because they merely don't like it?

For example, let's suppose I do a bit about the science of homosexuality? Let's say I point out that the CDC tells us that gay males in the US account for well over half the AIDS cases in the US even though they only account for about 5% of the population? What if I suggested that if the state really wanted to address STD's and AIDS issues they should then focus on curbing this gay male problem?

What if I then suggested that gay sex was socially mediated? That is, could it be that being gay is learned? I might point out that places like ancient Sparta cultivated a culture steeped in homoerotic tendencies as proof positive that people merely are not just born that way, they actually can adopt such behavior if social pressure sways them that direction. The only other option would be to believe that everyone in ancient Sparta had the gay gene. LOL. Could it be that being gay could be a choice and that the more society embraces it the more people become gay and the more STD's become a problem within the said culture?

Do you think that this newspaper would print such things even though it is the complete truth?
  9. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    27 Jun '15 12:08
    Originally posted by whodey
    Assuming what you say is true, the ones that write anti-gay articles are fools, it's still limiting free speech within the newspaper.

Why quantify something before reading it? That is, what if I write something anti-gay that is true? What if they throw it out because they merely don't like it?

For example, let's suppose I do a bit about the science of ...[text shortened]...
    Do you think that this newspaper would print such things even though it is the complete truth?
    It is their prerogative to print it, or not, as they see fit. They are under no obligation to provide you with a platform for the dissemination of your views, and their failure to do so does not in any way compromise your right to free speech. You're perfectly free to start your own newspaper, blog, or online discussion thread, where you can likewise tailor the content as you see fit.
  10. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    27 Jun '15 13:29
    It is their prerogative to print it, or not, as they see fit. They are under no obligation to provide you with a platform for the dissemination of your views, and their failure to do so does not in any way compromise your right to free speech. You're perfectly free to start your own newspaper, blog, or online discussion thread, where you can likewise tailor the content as you see fit.
    Sure, we are free to speak, just like the man who lost his NBA team was free to speak.

It's a liberal utopia I tell ya!! Just learn to keep your opinions to yourself, if you know what is good for ya.
  11. Germany
    Moves
    27 Jun '15 14:20
    Originally posted by whodey
    Sure, we are free to speak, just like the man who lost his NBA team was free to speak.

It's a liberal utopia I tell ya!! Just learn to keep your opinions to yourself, if you know what is good for ya.
    The freedom of speech does not imply that people aren't allowed to think you're an idiot for saying dumb crap.
  12. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    27 Jun '15 14:28
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    So you would like to force newspapers to voice certain opinions?

You're not quite clear on the concept of "free speech," are you?
    It seems to me that the paper should voice all opinions when it comes to political issues.
  13. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    27 Jun '15 14:35
    Although it's not the same as the idea of "free speech" enshrined in the First Amendment, a newspaper that states it will only print letters that take one side of a ideological issue is surely preventing "free speech" as a technical matter. What is the point of accepting letters from readers for publication if they are to be screened for ideological content?
  14. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    27 Jun '15 14:39
    It seems to me that the paper should voice all opinions when it comes to political issues.
    The issue is having the money to publish ideas. Even politicians depend upon the press to relay what they want us to know about them.

Therefore, the powers that be who own these media outlets hold all the power. The only question is, do they have a political agenda to post certain things or not post them?
  15. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    27 Jun '15 15:07
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Although it's not the same as the idea of "free speech" enshrined in the First Amendment, a newspaper that states it will only print letters that take one side of a ideological issue is surely preventing "free speech" as a technical matter. What is the point of accepting letters from readers for publication if they are to be screened for ideological content?
    What is the purpose of screening letters to silence certain points of view:

Try reading whodey's post.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree