1. Standard memberwittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    Cocoa Mountains
    Moves
    22 Mar '15 03:31
    Is political participation (in the form of voting, in this case) so vital to the wellbeing of the country--or should it be so vital--that individuals should be required to vote? Or is voting a right that only those who would participate in the process in the first place, should get to exercise?

(For the sake of discussion, let's pretend that there would be no immediate political gain to be reaped for either major political party... even though in reality, that's a very questionable assumption.)
  2. Standard membercaissad4
    Child of the Novelty
    San Antonio, Texas
    Moves
    22 Mar '15 05:41
    Originally posted by wittywonka
    Is political participation (in the form of voting, in this case) so vital to the wellbeing of the country--or should it be so vital--that individuals should be required to vote? Or is voting a right that only those who would participate in the process in the first place, should get to exercise?

(For the sake of discussion, let's pretend that there woul ...[text shortened]... either major political party... even though in reality, that's a very questionable assumption.)
    As long as you can cast a vote for "none of the above" I guess it would be okay. A stipulation where if "none of the above" were to garner the most votes then another election where all candidates who lost could not run again would be nice. 🙂
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    22 Mar '15 12:092 edits

(For the sake of discussion, let's pretend that there woul ...[text shortened]... either major political party... even though in reality, that's a very questionable assumption.)
    Obama recently suggested that there be mandatory voting, and we all know why. Every mid term election the turn out is worse than during Presidential elections, which keeps the GOP viable. This mid term, I believe only 37% of voters showed up as the GOP picked up a myriad of seats.

I'm not sure who has a dimmer view of the American voter, Obama or myself. When they turn out in mass they always vote for the carrot dangling in from of them whether it be an Obama phone or "free" this or that. As for Big Brother, their only position can be, apparently the American voter is not smart enough to vote as often as they should. Either way, it makes them look like idiots, which the appear to be.

Looking at the debacle of the GOP after their sweeping wins in the last mid term election, I could really care less if the GOP becomes extinct if voters are required to vote every election. In my view there is no real opposition party to the Dims. However, just the thought of one less freedom gone saddens me to no end.

So what is the penalty for those who don't vote in other countries that require voting? For those proponents of compulsory voting, what should the penalty be?
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    22 Mar '15 12:17
    Would you really want these people voting?

YouTube
  5. Germany
    Moves
    22 Mar '15 12:43
    Originally posted by whodey
    Obama recently suggested that there be mandatory voting [...]
    Quote?
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    22 Mar '15 13:043 edits
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Quote?
    http://www.snopes.com/politics/obama/mandatory.asp

He kind of sort of did and didn't.
  7. Germany
    Moves
    22 Mar '15 13:27
    Originally posted by FishHead111
    http://www.snopes.com/politics/obama/mandatory.asp

He kind of sort of did and didn't.
    There is nothing about mandatory voting in that quote, implied, suggested, or otherwise.
  8. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    22 Mar '15 13:28
    Quote?
    YouTube

His theory is that it would counteract "money" coming in to the political establishment.

In Obama's world, I guess he got to where he is at devoid of "the money".

LOL.
  9. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    22 Mar '15 14:02
    I support a voting holiday so most people don't skip voting who are too busy working. If anyone should vote more it is those that work hard.

Mandatory voting is impractical. All it does is pressure uninformed people to vote. Those people will likely vote for the person they hear about most. That just insures the corporate news media will influence who people vote for to an increased degree.
  10. Joined
    23 Nov '11
    Moves
    22 Mar '15 14:14

How about starting by making voting easier. Why limit it to one weekday from 8am to 8pm? Make voting more accessible by extending it to perhaps a Thursday through Saturday. Another real issue is the extreme insurgence of money into politics. Are we a democracy or an oligarchy? Also, if a news agency or political campaign tells a blatant lie about a candidate, they should be heavily fined. Forcing everyone to vote when it is difficult to get to the polls and the information we get on candidates is so spotty doesn't make sense to me.
  11. Joined
    23 Nov '11
    Moves
    22 Mar '15 14:17
    Originally posted by Metal Brain
    I support a voting holiday so most people don't skip voting who are too busy working. If anyone should vote more it is those that work hard.

Mandatory voting is impractical. All it does is pressure uninformed people to vote. Those people will likely vote for the person they hear about most. That just insures the corporate news media will influence who people vote for to an increased degree.
    Even if we had a voting day designated as a national holiday, some people are going to have to work.
  12. Germany
    Moves
    22 Mar '15 14:38
    Originally posted by whodey
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cu3AZ1Hjw0c

His theory is that it would counteract "money" coming in to the political establishment.

In Obama's world, I guess he got to where he is at devoid of "the money".

LOL.
    He says there is mandatory voting in Australia, and then discusses how it would "change the political landscape" (i.e. it would help the Dems) if turnout was higher. He is not saying nor implying that the US should have mandatory voting.

I suggest some mandatory English lessons.
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    22 Mar '15 15:07
    There is nothing about mandatory voting in that quote, implied, suggested, or otherwise.
    You didn't read the article then, because
    Obama certainly DOES mention mandatory voting and the positive effect it might have.
    Try again.
  14. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    22 Mar '15 15:23
    He says there is mandatory voting in Australia, and then discusses how it would "change the political landscape" (i.e. it would help the Dems) if turnout was higher. He is not saying nor implying that the US should have mandatory voting.

I suggest some mandatory English lessons.
    Obama is saying that mandatory voting would fight all the "evil money" in politics and transform it.

Is this not an endorsement or does he like the "evil money", as he calls it?
  15. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    22 Mar '15 15:23
    Originally posted by FishHead111
    You didn't read the article then, because
    Obama certainly DOES mention mandatory voting and the positive effect it might have.
    Try again.
    Define "is".

It's the Clinton defense. 😛

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree