1. Subscriber64squaresofpain
    The drunk knight
    Stuck on g1
    Moves
    27 Jun '15 02:22
    Anyone here ever played this?
    I've just discovered it, looks pretty interesting and fun 🙂

You can still win by checkmate but you can also win by getting your King on to one of the 4 centre squares,
    which apparently is worth double points in tournament play.

Here's a vid of Jerry from chessnetwork playing it:

YouTube : King of the Hill speed chess

Get those Kings in the centre!
  2. Joined
    15 Aug '12
    Moves
    30 Jun '15 06:20
    Originally posted by 64squaresofpain
    Anyone here ever played this?
    I've just discovered it, looks pretty interesting and fun 🙂

You can still win by checkmate but you can also win by getting your King on to one of the 4 centre squares,
    which apparently is worth double points in tournament play.

Here's a vid of Jerry from chessnetwork playing it:

[youtube King of the Hill speed chess]n4lKqcFMuCw[/youtube]

Get those Kings in the centre!
    Watched the whole video. Never heard of it. Looks like it would be a blast to play though!
  3. Subscriber64squaresofpain
    The drunk knight
    Stuck on g1
    Moves
    30 Jun '15 13:541 edit
    Originally posted by King Tiger
    Watched the whole video. Never heard of it. Looks like it would be a blast to play though!
    I made an account on lichess.org just to try out their multiple different variants (there are videos of Jerry playing these also fyi):

Horde - An army of (36!) pawns vs. a standard chess army... who is better theoretically?
    YouTube : Horde chess

Three-check - As the name suggests, the first player to give 3 checks in a game wins (any legal check, does not have to be consecutive)
    YouTube : Three-check

You can play in time controls such as these, but there are even quicker ones such as 2 minutes with no increment.
    I'm really having some fun playing these 🙂 ... best part is, lichess is free!

EDIT: Oh, and for King-of-the-hill, you don't get double points for getting your king to the centre.
    I had wrongly assumed this, your points per win only double once you are on a streak (at least 3 wins in a row)
    Biggest streak I've had so far is 5 🙂
  4. Subscriber64squaresofpain
    The drunk knight
    Stuck on g1
    Moves
    06 Jul '15 23:58
    Played some more KOTH today, starting to get the hang of it,
    in fact today was the first time I managed to finish in the top 3 in a tournament 🙂

I'll show 2 games, the first being a quick mate

I played Black

The next one was more of a battle.
    I have tried to include some quick analysis, although note that we was on 5min + 0sec time controls,
    which is especially hard for me as I'm on a laptop, and those touchpad mice are not ideal!

I played Black again

A lot of fun 🙂 I highly recommend giving it a go... maybe we can have multiple RHP lads in the same tourney!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree