1. e4
    Moves
    06 May '15 15:01
    Gary was on the radio Yesrterday playing a game + interview v Dominic Lawson.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b05stg0n

Interesting to hear Lawson say he felt a strong OTB presence from Kapsparov wafting across the board.

He also mentions when he played Carlsen in a previous series he felt nothing.

Here is the game. Kasparov is Black.

2. Joined
    12 Jun '13
    Moves
    06 May '15 16:13
    18. e5 seems odd to me, am I missing something?
  3. Joined
    18 Feb '10
    Moves
    06 May '15 16:51
    I suppose he had to protect his pawn on g4, so either h5 or e5 (protecting the pawn with the bishop on c8) were the obvious moves. By playing e5 he freed his c8 bishop completely and it came to f5 next move.

It's very common to have a blocked in dark squared bishop on g7 when playing the Kings Indian. Often it's overprotecting the centre and helping Black control e5 and d4.
  4. e4
    Moves
    06 May '15 19:361 edit
    I think Data Fly has the board in his mind around the wrong way.
    He's talking about Black playing e5 in normal King's Indians,

Here is the position before White's 18th move.

Here White played 18.e5 sacking a pawn to get a Knight on e4 hitting the d6 Rook and
    the g5 pawn. Kapsaorv does not move the d6 Rook and saves the g-pawn instead.
  5. Joined
    18 Feb '10
    Moves
    07 May '15 14:161 edit
    Sorry, I misread the original post and was talking about Black's 26th move (e5) rather than White's 18th (e5).

I thought it was a very interesting game and that Dominic Lawson did very well. His ECF grade is about the same as mine (in fact ten lower at the moment) and I'd be delighted if I managed to give Kasparov such a good fight in a one-on-one game.
  6. Donationketchuplover
    Isolated Pawn
    Wisconsin USA
    Moves
    07 May '15 16:41
    31.Rxe5 looked okay to me
  7. Joined
    18 Feb '10
    Moves
    07 May '15 16:52
    Originally posted by ketchuplover
    31.Rxe5 looked okay to me
    Bxd3+ and Bxc2 (perhaps after Bxe5)
  8. Joined
    05 Nov '08
    Moves
    08 May '15 01:141 edit
    Originally posted by Data Fly
    yes
  9. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    10 May '15 19:02
    Sorry, I misread the original post and was talking about Black's 26th move (e5) rather than White's 18th (e5).

I thought it was a very interesting game and that Dominic Lawson did very well. His ECF grade is about the same as mine (in fact ten lower at the moment) and I'd be delighted if I managed to give Kasparov such a good fight in a one-on-one game.
    Also, don't forget that they were doing an interview at the same time.

<http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b05tvwtd/episodes/guide>

I didn't know that Steve "Interesting" Davis played chess, but glad to hear that having that experience, he, unlike some of his colleague snooker commentators, debunks the gaffe that snooker is "chess on the green baize".
    Don't get me wrong, I like watching snooker almost as much as I like playing chess, but the two sports are really quite unalike. Not as unalike as chess and footie, perhaps, but still.
  10. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    11 May '15 18:35
    Originally posted by Shallow Blue
    Also, don't forget that they were doing an interview at the same time.

<http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b05tvwtd/episodes/guide>

I didn't know that Steve "Interesting" Davis played chess, but glad to hear that having that experience, he, unlike some of his colleague snooker commentators, debunks the gaffe that snooker is "chess on the green baize" ...[text shortened]... sports are really quite unalike. Not as unalike as chess and footie, perhaps, but still.
    There's a pub where we play chess on a Thursday. Occasionally we joke that it's a game of football on the board.
  11. Joined
    04 Nov '08
    Moves
    16 May '15 07:55
    Interesting game. It took until about move 26 until I could see Black was better. (suspected from the time of the rook sac but I am not brilliant at weighing up space advantages). Good to see a resignation in good time. Take note Morgan.

The only game Dominic lost in the series. Most of the games were a bit one sided.
  12. Donationketchuplover
    Isolated Pawn
    Wisconsin USA
    Moves
    16 May '15 13:17

good job
  13. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    18 May '15 04:18
    Why the consecutive king moves by white on move 30 and 31? Both moves seem to accomplish absolutely nothing.
  14. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    18 May '15 14:59
    Originally posted by vivify
    Why the consecutive king moves by white on move 30 and 31? Both moves seem to accomplish absolutely nothing.
    He probably felt he couldn't improve the position of any of his pieces and needed to pass, so moved his king back and forth.
  15. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    21 May '15 18:43
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    He probably felt he couldn't improve the position of any of his pieces and needed to pass, so moved his king back and forth.
    Surely there had to have been a better option than giving the greatest chess player of all time two free moves?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree