1. Account suspended
    Moves
    15 Aug '14 12:41
    I now have a lady author in my useless collection of chess books which have not managed to add a single rating point to my measly and pathetic on line elo, still theres nothing like the smell of a new book to give one delusions of complete grandeur and a host of ideas that one is likely to forget almost instantly!
  2. Joined
    18 Feb '10
    Moves
    15 Aug '14 13:08
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    I now have a lady author in my useless collection of chess books which have not managed to add a single rating point to my measly and pathetic on line elo, still theres nothing like the smell of a new book to give one delusions of complete grandeur and a host of ideas that one is likely to forget almost instantly!
    I once beat Jovanka in five moves in a junior tournament using some sort of Scholar's mate. She was about six years old at the time. Her big brother (who was all of nine or so) regained the family honour by beating me in the very next round.
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    15 Aug '14 13:17
    Originally posted by Data Fly
    I once beat Jovanka in five moves in a junior tournament using some sort of Scholar's mate. She was about six years old at the time. Her big brother (who was all of nine or so) regained the family honour by beating me in the very next round.
    LOL get the big brother to beat you up. I get the impression that she actually believes the ideas in her book, its one of the best explained books of its kind I have come across in stark contrast to that charlatan Sam Shankland.
  4. e4
    Moves
    15 Aug '14 13:351 edit
    I too love the smell of new book although 99% of my 400+ books are 2nd hand.

This is my 2nd collection. I had 600+ and sold 90% of it in the mid-90's.
    I also have 40+ chess sets, just recently sold one on E-Bay.
    I still have and use to study the same wooden chess set I was given on Christmas Day 1962.

What I use to enjoy when I got a bit good was grabbing a book I looked
    at in the 70's, Alekhine's Best Games, Tartakower's Best Games or even Fischer's 60.
    Playing over a few games and seeing how much more I understand the
    game than I did then. Then wondering why it did not sink in the first time around.
    (Too busy drooling over the tactics to appreciate the finer points.)

Women should not write chess books. I can give any woman 3 pages start
    (the equivalent of Knight odds) and still beat her to the deadline. 😉
  5. Joined
    02 Aug '08
    Moves
    15 Aug '14 13:47
    I've had that book for a few years and can say that it has helped me a lot. But having a look at her games in the past few years I noticed that she herself was not using her recommended 3)...c5 in the Advance variation.
    I suppose she's changed her mind since copyright in 2007...
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    15 Aug '14 14:12
    Originally posted by ptriple42
    I've had that book for a few years and can say that it has helped me a lot. But having a look at her games in the past few years I noticed that she herself was not using her recommended 3)...c5 in the Advance variation.
    haha! but i use this cunning gambit, who wouldn't give up a pawn for an easy life?
  7. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    15 Aug '14 20:21
    Don't get me started on the CK. MY best friend and "chess coach" plays a wide repertoire of openings. I have the best success against his Alekhine's defense and CK. I also have a decent win record against it here. I remember one time I ran my mouth here about how weak the CK was etc etc yadda yadda. I ended up challenging, or accepting a challenge from a strong player here who handed me my butt in a CK with me having white.
    For shame, maybe it's a good system, or the other guy is a better player.
    In retrospect the knight h4 idea was probably not my best. 🙁

[Event "Challenge"]
    [Site "http://www.timeforchess.com"]
    [Date "2012.01.11"]
    [EndDate "2012.04.23"]
    [Round "?"]
    [White "ChessPraxis"]
    [Black "ptriple42"]
    [WhiteRating "1878"]
    [BlackRating "2000"]
    [WhiteElo "1878"]
    [BlackElo "2000"]
    [Result "0-1"]
    [GameId "8985854"]

0-1
  8. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    15 Aug '14 20:22
    Originally posted by ptriple42
    You look familiar 😕
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    15 Aug '14 21:28
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    I too love the smell of new book although 99% of my 400+ books are 2nd hand.

This is my 2nd collection. I had 600+ and sold 90% of it in the mid-90's.
    I also have 40+ chess sets, just recently sold one on E-Bay.
    I still have and use to study the same wooden chess set I was given on Christmas Day 1962.

What I use to enjoy when I got a bit good was ...[text shortened]... any woman 3 pages start
    (the equivalent of Knight odds) and still beat her to the deadline. 😉
    Great and illustrious GP I was thinking of you the other day when i was supping upon a rather tasty bottle of Caledonian 80/ a mighty deliciously malty brew from a Victorian brewery in the windy city itself no less.

I must tell you that Ive been on a blitz marathon all day yesterday and all day today, must have played hundreds of games on chess.com, FICS and lichess.org. After having come to the conclusion that I have NO talent for chess I cannot understand why.

The most annoying players i find come at different ends of the spectrum, those that are attacking maniacs and those that take absolutely no risks and simply hand you enough rope to hang yourself. Personally I have done much better with the Dragon which I know nothing about than the Caro Kann which i could tell you the mainline twenty moves deep. Something is seriously wrong here GP and I cannot understand why.
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    15 Aug '14 21:34
    Originally posted by ChessPraxis
    Don't get me started on the CK. MY best friend and "chess coach" plays a wide repertoire of openings. I have the best success against his Alekhine's defense and CK. I also have a decent win record against it here. I remember one time I ran my mouth here about how weak the CK was etc etc yadda yadda. I ended up challenging, or accepting a challenge from a ...[text shortened]... 8 28. Qg3e3 Rd2xa2 29. Qe3xc5 Qb6xb3 30. Rc1b1 Qb3g3 31. Rb1d1 Rd8xd1 32. Bg4xd1 Ne5d3 [/pgn]0-1
    I have some nice games but mostly they are pretty boring,

11. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    15 Aug '14 23:171 edit

[pgn][Event "Clan challenge"] [Site "http://www.timeforchess.com"] [Date "2014.05.15"] [EndDate "2014.06.14"] [Round "?"] [White "Lee Gibson"] [Black "robbie carrobie"] [WhiteRating "1771"] [BlackRating "1797"] [WhiteElo "1771"] [BlackElo "1797"] [Result "0-1"] [GameId "10625878"] 1. e4 c ...[text shortened]... 20. Bf4e5 Nf6g4 21. Re3e4 Ng4xe5 22. Re4xe5 Rd8xd4 23. Qd3e2 Rd4xd1 24. Qe2xd1 Bc5xf2 0-1[/pgn]
    Lots of wood on the board, minor pieces, middle game, centralized rook...bad 🙂
  12. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    15 Aug '14 23:25
    Originally posted by ChessPraxis
    Lots of wood on the board, minor pieces, middle game, centralized rook...bad 🙂
    On the other hand if Gibson would have won the game, I would herald him for his bold bravado center play. 🙂
  13. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    16 Aug '14 00:46

[pgn][Event "Clan challenge"] [Site "http://www.timeforchess.com"] [Date "2014.05.15"] [EndDate "2014.06.14"] [Round "?"] [White "Lee Gibson"] [Black "robbie carrobie"] [WhiteRating "1771"] [BlackRating "1797"] [WhiteElo "1771"] [BlackElo "1797"] [Result "0-1"] [GameId "10625878"] 1. e4 c ...[text shortened]... 20. Bf4e5 Nf6g4 21. Re3e4 Ng4xe5 22. Re4xe5 Rd8xd4 23. Qd3e2 Rd4xd1 24. Qe2xd1 Bc5xf2 0-1[/pgn]
    Lee Gibson and I are friends that go back a few decades, and I coaxed him out of chess retirement to come play on the site.

I have seen probably over 1000 of his rated and offhand games, but I think this is the first time I have EVER seen him play 1. e4!

On top of that, he plays the Caro Kann himself, so I bet he was hating life after 2 moves!
  14. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    16 Aug '14 03:06
    Originally posted by Paul Leggett
    Lee Gibson and I are friends that go back a few decades, and I coaxed him out of chess retirement to come play on the site.

I have seen probably over 1000 of his rated and offhand games, but I think this is the first time I have EVER seen him play 1. e4!

On top of that, he plays the Caro Kann himself, so I bet he was hating life after 2 moves!
    I should add that he has expanded his repertoire and has played 1.e4 against me, but his weapon of choice has always been the Torre Attack, so it is definitely a change.

One of the nice things about this format is that it is much easier to wade into the deeper end of the chess pool without a lot of risk.
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    16 Aug '14 13:01
    Originally posted by Paul Leggett

He is an absolute gentleman. Do you know in one game he commended me afterwards with a well done! Just to put that in perspective, yesterday i was playing blitz and got beat up by someone in a game i should have won, i retorted to my opponent after the game was over,

robbie: you patzer, that sucks

opponent: jaja

robbie: you got lucky

opoonent : jaja i made you my bitch

robbie : lol

opponent : jaja

robbie: when i get better i am coming to get you

opponent : jaja

and you can see that trash talk is the order of the day.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree