1. Account suspended
    Moves
    11 Jul '14 16:051 edit
    I resigned a draw position... I think
    I won several games which I wanted to resign but continued to play from various reasons and was awarded by the opponents' blunders, but the moment has come for me to do this - to resign in a position that could have been saved. (I think.)

gameknot; I was black; 5 days + 2

2. Account suspended
    Moves
    11 Jul '14 16:081 edit
    34... Nf3+ - I calculated a bit and I dismissed the move because I would be a Rook short at the end. Right? Or Wrong?
  3. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    11 Jul '14 19:39
    Originally posted by vandervelde
    I won several games which I wanted to resign but continued to play from various reasons and was awarded by the opponents' blunders, but the moment has come for me to do this - to resign in a position that could have been saved. (I think.)

[pgn]
    1. d4 Nf6 2. c4 g6 3. Nc3 Bg7 ...[text shortened]... 7th line and resigned but piblic computer shows "-0.44". I am still blind here.}
    1-0
    [/pgn]
    The lesson here is: don't resign due to vague fears. Wait until you are hurt in a more tangible way.
  4. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    12 Jul '14 00:19

[pgn]
    1. d4 Nf6 2. c4 g6 3. Nc3 Bg7 ...[text shortened]... 7th line and resigned but piblic computer shows "-0.44". I am still blind here.}
    1-0
    [/pgn]
    GM Lars Bo Hansen told me in a class that from +0.25 to +1.50 means white is better/has an advantage, but he does not consider a game as truly lost until about +1.5 or so.

I am (of course) paraphrasing and and dramatically abbreviating his comments (he is most certainly not so simple about it), but it surprised several of us in the class, and led to a lively discussion.

He was talking in the context of OTB chess, but I think he would be OK with its application here, as a slower format with endgame references aids the defense.
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    12 Jul '14 19:32
    34... Nf3+ - I calculated a bit and I dismissed the move because I would be a Rook short at the end. Right? Or Wrong?
    Sounds wrong to me, because after the knight grabs the rook and king grabs the knight the black rook comes down and checks, snags the bishop so you in fact come a full rook up, looks like to me.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree