1. e4
    Moves
    05 Aug '14 03:531 edit
    Veselin Topalov - Francisco Vallejo-Pons Chess Olympiad (2014)

The whole concept is just brillo mungo, but for some reason I just love White's
    25th move - it all becomes clear on White's 30th move.

2. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    05 Aug '14 03:58
    Wow!
  3. Joined
    18 Feb '10
    Moves
    05 Aug '14 10:19
    Not bad, but a better player (such as myself) would have played 10.Bg3 rather than 10.Bh2 as it was pretty obvious that Black would be threatening a back rank mate twenty moves later.
  4. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    05 Aug '14 15:46
    Originally posted by Data Fly
    Not bad, but a better player (such as myself) would have played 10.Bg3 rather than 10.Bh2 as it was pretty obvious that Black would be threatening a back rank mate twenty moves later.
    Exactly! Why not Bg3? It would cost black two moves to get his h pawn in position that would require Bh2. This would mean two moves for black to force one move for white! An easy way to tempt black into giving up tempo and over extending his pawns.
  5. Standard memberbyedidia
    Mister Why
    San Carlos, CA
    Moves
    05 Aug '14 21:19
    I think he accidentally touched his bishop on move 25 and said "Oh well, I'll just put it here." Then was happy about it 5 moves later.
  6. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    05 Aug '14 23:17
    In my view, White's strategic foresight and tactical timing is nothing short of exquisite. Thanks, greenpawn34.
  7. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    05 Aug '14 23:20
    Originally posted by Data Fly
    Yet you've never made a chess game move since joining on 17 Feb '10.... What am I missing?
  8. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    05 Aug '14 23:352 edits
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    Yet you've never made a chess game move since joining on 17 Feb '10.... What am I missing?
    That way, he can continue to make people think he is a GM. Typical windbag, all talk, no action. Back seat driver. But what about 18 Qxf5? Isn't a case now he was forced to take the rook or lose the knight? Did he do that deliberately? Or was it an oversight and he had to come up with something fast?
  9. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    06 Aug '14 00:01
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    That way, he can continue to make people think he is a GM. Typical windbag, all talk, no action. Back seat driver. But what about 18 Qxf5? Isn't a case now he was forced to take the rook or lose the knight? Did he do that deliberately? Or was it an oversight and he had to come up with something fast?
    "But what about 18 Qxf5?" -sonhouse Though we'll probably never know, I'm inclined to conclude he planned the move.
  10. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    06 Aug '14 00:03
    "But what about 18 Qxf5?" -sonhouse Though we'll probably never know, I'm inclined to conclude he planned the move.
    I'm thinking he blundered into a win🙂
  11. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    06 Aug '14 02:173 edits
    GB, he was just being funny. It made me laugh because I have thought like that before, and I could see myself doing it in that position. When I laughed, I laughed at myself as much as anything.

While the chess gods conceive of grand conceptions, we lesser lights dwell upon such banal threats as back-rank mates, because they are simple demons we understand.

Occasionally, as though looking through a glass, darkly, we play the right move for the most simplistic and pedestrian reasons.

Edit: Sorry, my brother in law is in town, which means the quality of the brew consumed increases dramatically!
  12. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    06 Aug '14 02:23
    Originally posted by Eladar
    Exactly! Why not Bg3? It would cost black two moves to get his h pawn in position that would require Bh2. This would mean two moves for black to force one move for white! An easy way to tempt black into giving up tempo and over extending his pawns.
    ...Nh5 only takes one move
  13. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    06 Aug '14 03:271 edit
    Originally posted by Paul Leggett
    GB, he was just being funny. It made me laugh because I have thought like that before, and I could see myself doing it in that position. When I laughed, I laughed at myself as much as anything.

While the chess gods conceive of grand conceptions, we lesser lights dwell upon such banal threats as back-rank mates, because they are simple demons we und ...[text shortened]... brother in law is in town, which means the quality of the brew consumed increases dramatically!
    "Sorry, my brother in law is in town, which means the quality of the brew consumed increases dramatically!" ~Paul Leggett

"... the quality of the brew consumed" or the quantity [or both] "increases dramatically!"?

|~~|@
    |__.|.... < Paul's glass...... |_|@.... < Paul's brother in law's glass

Ha,
  14. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    06 Aug '14 03:49
    "Sorry, my brother in law is in town, which means the quality of the brew consumed increases dramatically!" ~Paul Leggett

"... the quality of the brew consumed" or the quantity [or both] "increases dramatically!"?

|~~|@
    |__.|.... < Paul's glass...... |_|@.... < Paul's brother in law's glass

Ha,
    I plead the fifth. Or plead for the fifth. Or something like that.
  15. e4
    Moves
    06 Aug '14 11:39
    On g3 the Bishop as stated is open to a well timed Nh5
    threatening Nxg3 and opening up the sniper on g7.

The the other reason is flexability.
    White does not want to shelf the possibilty of playing g4.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree