1. Joined
    22 Feb '10
    Moves
    20 Dec '14 22:47
    Hi all,

I play in tournaments where all the games should be rated (at least I haven't seen an unrated tourney here), and I've recently been resigned against in two games from the same opponent. One game had one move from myself and the other had no moves yet. My opponent for whatever reason felt he needed to resign before playing. However upon him resigning, my rating hasn't gone up any, not even a point from either game. Should it have? I'm currently at 1603, the same before he resigned in both games. He is around 1352.
  2. SubscriberKewpieonline
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    20 Dec '14 23:111 edit
    Games where two moves have not been completed (by either player) can be resigned/deleted without affecting either ratings or the win/loss count.

He resigned his two games against the other tourney opponent as well, so he has chosen to remove himself from that tournament, for reasons known only to himself.
  3. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    20 Dec '14 23:201 edit
    Originally posted by jwa657
    Hi all,

I play in tournaments where all the games should be rated (at least I haven't seen an unrated tourney here), and I've recently been resigned against in two games from the same opponent. One game had one move from myself and the other had no moves yet. My opponent for whatever reason felt he needed to resign before playing. However upon him resignin ...[text shortened]... ld it have? I'm currently at 1603, the same before he resigned in both games. He is around 1352.
    I believe that a game is considered to be rated once black has completed their second move.

Prior to that the game is not considered to be rated and a non-tournament game can be deleted by either player without changing any ratings and without changing either player's statistics.

If the game is resigned within the first two moves I suspect it would still be considered as unrated as far as ratings are concerned, but would be counted as a win.

This is only my opinion and perhaps someone more knowledgeable can confirm or correct this reply.

<EDIT> Also, I don't believe a person's rating or other statistics are instantly updated at the moment that a game is finished. It may be a short time before new statistics are displayed.
  4. Joined
    22 Feb '10
    Moves
    20 Dec '14 23:46
    @Mwmiller, that looks accurate. Even though my rating hasn't changed it still looks like the number of won games has been added to. I was unaware that we could resign from a game here before black's second move and have it counted as unrated, do other chess sites allow that during tournaments? Mwmiller and Kewpie, thanks for the input! Happy Holidays
  5. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    21 Dec '14 02:021 edit
    Originally posted by jwa657
    @Mwmiller, that looks accurate. Even though my rating hasn't changed it still looks like the number of won games has been added to. I was unaware that we could resign from a game here before black's second move and have it counted as unrated, do other chess sites allow that during tournaments? Mwmiller and Kewpie, thanks for the input! Happy Holidays
    All games are considered as being unrated until black completes their second move.
    In regular games you can delete the game during the first two moves if you do not want to play it, and in that way it is treated as if it never existed.
    In tournament games you cannot delete a game, so resigning is the only option for those who do not wish to play it out.

I have no information about other sites but perhaps someone else will respond.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree