1. Standard membersundown316
    The Mighty Messenger
    The Wood of N'Kai
    Moves
    18 Feb '15 20:36
    I was playing in the U.S. Amateur Teams East this weekend past and bought a fantastic DVD that I think will be a must for a lot of serious players. It's called Winning Middlegame Structures by Ivan Sokolov(same as his book), and it is a near 4 hour lesson on pawn structures and how to play them. I highly recommend it to everyone.
  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    19 Feb '15 16:21
    Originally posted by sundown316
    I was playing in the U.S. Amateur Teams East this weekend past and bought a fantastic DVD that I think will be a must for a lot of serious players. It's called Winning Middlegame Structures by Ivan Sokolov(same as his book), and it is a near 4 hour lesson on pawn structures and how to play them. I highly recommend it to everyone.
    Where do you get it?
  3. Standard membersundown316
    The Mighty Messenger
    The Wood of N'Kai
    Moves
    20 Feb '15 00:45
    I don't know. you might try the London Chess Centre or the US Chess Federation on-line shop.
  4. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    20 Feb '15 23:26
    Did a little google searching and found this:

http://www.gingergm.com/shop/sokolov-explains
  5. Standard membersundown316
    The Mighty Messenger
    The Wood of N'Kai
    Moves
    21 Feb '15 01:13
    That's the one. There are several other "Ginger GM" videos out that also look pretty good.
  6. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    21 Feb '15 13:53
    After reading your post i looked up the book on amazon (it's so great that you can 'look inside'!) I've been after a book on pawn structure for years, this is perfect, thanks for the tip. I remember seeing a video on youtube that someone had uploaded of Jeremy Silman discussing pawn structure and strategy and was really interested but unfortunately they only uploaded the first 'video' (ripped from VHS) so i only got the first little snippet. 🙁
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    21 Feb '15 15:01
    Originally posted by Marinkatomb
    After reading your post i looked up the book on amazon (it's so great that you can 'look inside'!) I've been after a book on pawn structure for years, this is perfect, thanks for the tip. I remember seeing a video on youtube that someone had uploaded of Jeremy Silman discussing pawn structure and strategy and was really interested but unfortunately they only uploaded the first 'video' (ripped from VHS) so i only got the first little snippet. 🙁
    What's wrong with Soltis pawn structure chess?
  8. Joined
    01 Apr '05
    Moves
    21 Feb '15 16:41
    There is also the classic by Hans Kmoch: "Die Kunst der Bauernführung"; in English I think it is something like "Pawn Power in Chess".
  9. Joined
    10 Apr '14
    Moves
    21 Feb '15 17:45
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Im working through that book now. So far it seems very incomplete to me. too little explanation, especially in the annotations. When he notates a move as a mistake he doesnt explain why and just in general very light notations.
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    21 Feb '15 22:05
    Originally posted by iChopWoodForFree
    Im working through that book now. So far it seems very incomplete to me. too little explanation, especially in the annotations. When he notates a move as a mistake he doesnt explain why and just in general very light notations.
    He provides at least six illustrative games in each and every section to illustrate the plans for black and white based on the respective pawn configurations. He skips most if not all of the the opening theory and gets straight to the critical point. You must remember he is covering at least 16 types of pawn configurations for both black and white with respective plans and illustrative games for each. He cannot afford to do a move by move account. That book added three hundred rating points to my game and took me from a 1200-1400 rated player to a 1700-1800
  11. Joined
    10 Apr '14
    Moves
    21 Feb '15 22:39
    He provides at least six illustrative games in each and every section to illustrate the plans for black and white based on the respective pawn configurations. He skips most if not all of the the opening theory and gets straight to the critical point. You must remember he is covering at least 16 types of pawn configurations for both black and white ...[text shortened]... three hundred rating points to my game and took me from a 1200-1400 rated player to a 1700-1800
    I doubt that. This would only have any use for 1800+ as under that is strong tactics and a good opening repertoire. Unless you mean ratings on here... i dont know how they correlate to other ratings.
  12. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    21 Feb '15 22:42
    I haven't read any Soltis. what is your opinion of his writing? I decided to go for this book after flicking through some of the pages on Amazon. I really like the way it is structured and the fact it uses whole games.

I have recently bought a new phone and have an app which allows me to use the camera to do object character recognition of chess diagrams! It makes reading chess books SO much easier!! 😀
  13. Standard membersundown316
    The Mighty Messenger
    The Wood of N'Kai
    Moves
    22 Feb '15 02:33
    Originally posted by Marinkatomb
    I haven't read any Soltis. what is your opinion of his writing? I decided to go for this book after flicking through some of the pages on Amazon. I really like the way it is structured and the fact it uses whole games.

I have recently bought a new phone and have an app which allows me to use the camera to do object character recognition of chess diagrams! It makes reading chess books SO much easier!! 😀
    Soltis writes great books when he confines himself to chess history. His books on Marshall and Botvinnik are excellent. But his books on openings are mostly hack work, to be honest.
  14. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    22 Feb '15 02:47
    Originally posted by iChopWoodForFree
    I doubt that. This would only have any use for 1800+ as under that is strong tactics and a good opening repertoire. Unless you mean ratings on here... i dont know how they correlate to other ratings.
    I don't think this is completely true, at least not for everyone. I know too many player counterexamples.

I have no reason to doubt Robbies's claim, as I have seen similar examples in OTB play where one book seemed to be the missing link for a player to elevate his/her game a class or two.
  15. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    23 Feb '15 16:55
    He provides at least six illustrative games in each and every section to illustrate the plans for black and white based on the respective pawn configurations. He skips most if not all of the the opening theory and gets straight to the critical point. You must remember he is covering at least 16 types of pawn configurations for both black and white ...[text shortened]... three hundred rating points to my game and took me from a 1200-1400 rated player to a 1700-1800
    From what I read in the review the book is directed at 1.d4 players like yourself.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree