1. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    21 Mar '15 10:521 edit
    4 months ago, I took the somewhat radical step of disconnecting my TV. The effects have been pretty good. I exercise more, interact with people more, and have a brighter outlook on things, since I'm not being fed a non stop stream of negative news stories (good news does not sell very well). I do miss the occasional Notre Dame football game, and seeing Patty Stanger of Millionaire Matchmaker in her tight little low cut blouses, but overall it was a good decision. The effects of TV on people, though not dangerous, are generally not very good. It might be something to consider...🙂

http://theunboundedspirit.com/the-harmful-effects-of-watching-television/
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    21 Mar '15 11:09
    Originally posted by bill718
    4 months ago, I took the somewhat radical step of disconnecting my TV. The effects have been pretty good. I exercise more, interact with people more, and have a brighter outlook on things, since I'm not being fed a non stop stream of negative news stories (good news does not sell very well). I do miss the occasional Notre Dame football game, and seeing Patty ...[text shortened]... ng to consider...🙂

Could probably say the same about the interwebz
  3. Joined
    15 Oct '10
    Moves
    21 Mar '15 16:18
    Congratulations. Television is a great example of how demand is created for things which are completely unnecessary.
  4. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    23 Mar '15 00:47
    Originally posted by bill718
    4 months ago, I took the somewhat radical step of disconnecting my TV. The effects have been pretty good. I exercise more, interact with people more, and have a brighter outlook on things, since I'm not being fed a non stop stream of negative news stories (good news does not sell very well). I do miss the occasional Notre Dame football game, and seeing Patty ...[text shortened]... ng to consider...🙂

I've been considering doing the same for the last two months. Would save me $100+ a month.
  5. Cape Town
    Moves
    23 Mar '15 05:46
    I haven't used a TV for 2 years. I got rid of it a year ago after a year of disuse and a year before that of only watching one or two shows a week. The main reason being that I get my entertainment and news off the internet and watch/read it on a computer. The choice of entertainment and news on the TV was far too limited for me.
    I get to experience TV when I visit my mum, and I realize just how poorly presented the News programs are. It is packed full of self advertising, repetition, and sensationalism.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree