1. Account suspended
    Moves
    05 Feb '15 10:38
    There was once a chess trainer from Eastern Europe, GM old school, who was a trainer on the West in late 1980's. He said in an interview, that he had difficulties to teach young westerners to for example sacrifice a piece or two, even in a positional play, that is like a temporary sacrifice.

"Because of their mentality: they are used to receive, not to give!" sad that trainer.

Well I am looking now for dvd's and cd's to buy on the internet. After two OTB tournaments I would like to get some coaching...

What do you think of the following trainers and whom would you recommend?

1. Igor Smirnov
    http://chess-teacher.com/product/the-grandmasters-secrets/

(His marketing resembles Dr Oz'es markeing, doesn't it?)

2. Adrian Mikhalchishin
    He looks serious.

American uncle Heisman for mid-beginners.

When I see "10 GM's chess secrets" or "Secret way how to win a titled player" I feel it's something like a hair loss lotion...
  2. Joined
    21 Nov '14
    Moves
    05 Feb '15 15:58
    Originally posted by vandervelde
    There was once a chess trainer from Eastern Europe, GM old school, who was a trainer on the West in late 1980's. He said in an interview, that he had difficulties to teach young westerners to for example sacrifice a piece or two, even in a positional play, that is like a temporary sacrifice.

[b]"Because of their mentality: they are used to receive, n ...[text shortened]... ets" or "Secret way how to win a titled player" I feel it's something like a hair loss lotion...
    A couple of years ago , I went on a buying spree. The Best DVD's for me have been the ones by GM Roman Dzindzichashvili. They're called Roman's Lab, or Roman's Forum. He has a very down to earth presentation style.
  3. Joined
    31 Jan '06
    Moves
    08 Feb '15 02:58
    Is there a Russian Training method that seems to pervade Russian DVDs? Do Russians train different than someone like Carlsen or Anand?
  4. Standard membernimzo5
    Ronin
    Hereford Boathouse
    Moves
    14 Feb '15 01:451 edit
    if you're a 2100 cc player on here - you don't need coaching!

seriously though. Skip all the hyped coaching, get a book with games of capa, morphy etc. and play through them, then go back after a couple months and play them solitaire style.

Once you have done that for about 6 months, move on to Botvinnik and that era.

then do fischer, spassky etc.

When you reach Karpov - then get a coach. 🙂

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree