1. Joined
    31 Jan '06
    Moves
    20 Jan '15 01:512 edits
    Has anyone really ever been checkmated by white in 3 moves which is possible or by black in 2 moves which is possible?

For instance. . .

1. e4 f5 2. d4 g5 3. Qh5#

OR

1. f4 e5 2. g4 Qh4#
  2. Joined
    27 Apr '07
    Moves
    20 Jan '15 14:01
    On this site I bet there have been a fafillion checkmates like that.

I will leave it to those better at searching the archives to confirm.
  3. Joined
    01 Apr '05
    Moves
    20 Jan '15 14:331 edit
    It doesn't take much searching. Look on page 368 of the tables and you will find your answer in our hero 'Codpiece' - P32, W0, D0, L32. His (unlikely to be a her with a name like that, but you never know) rating is exactly 0, and I believe his strategy was a little flawed, resulting in 2 or 3 move defeats in all 32 games. Probably the most consistent player here!
    If you're going to prop up the table, might as well do it in style!
  4. Joined
    31 Jan '06
    Moves
    26 Jan '15 22:05
    Larkie,
    I wonder if the user name, "Codpiece" was used as a rating booster for other people?
  5. e4
    Moves
    27 Jan '15 10:14
    Incredibly enough, just one with the two move mate for Black.

Game 5229133

Troppo - greenpawn34 RHP, July 2008. (see below).

My opponent, a 1400 player, said he just got mixed up playing so
    many openings at once. I can relate to that because I've done it.

There may be others but there are thousands of games (approx 100,000)
    timed out under 6 moves. In an effort to clean up my DB I may have binned
    a few though I did scan for mates and saved hundreds of Scholar Mates.

This sort of thing in it's various forms.

Some players as White may have played 1.f3 2.g4 and resigned before
    Black got a chance to mate. The pgn just registers 1-0, 0-1, or ½-½
    and does not reveal if it's a resignation or a time out.

As I said before, 99% of the wins under 6 moves are time outs.
    I do not have the time or inclination to open each game and see
    if the game was timed out or resigned.

6. Account suspended
    Moves
    27 Jan '15 10:30
    Originally posted by KingOnPoint
    Has anyone really ever been checkmated by white in 3 moves which is possible or by black in 2 moves which is possible?

For instance. . .

1. e4 f5 2. d4 g5 3. Qh5#

OR

1. f4 e5 2. g4 Qh4#
    I've had many games where I've checkmated people like that, the players are always new players in their teens though.
    By the way that's called the Fool's Mate. A lot of people mistakenly call the Scholar's Mate (Queen/Bishop mate in 4) the Fool's Mate.
  7. Joined
    18 Feb '10
    Moves
    27 Jan '15 12:24
    Fareham Chess Club used to hold a special tournament at Christmas with several unusual features:

1) The games were lightning - a buzzer went off every ten seconds and the player whose turn it was had to play their move as the buzzer sounded.

2) Every now and then the tournament controller would pause the buzzer and call out instructions to modify the games still being played in some way. For example "Swap sides" or "Remove any pieces or pawns in the central four squares" or "If your queen is still on the board, it must swap places with your king" or "If possible the next player to move must deliver check".

Anyway, one Christmas the controller called out the following instruction before the games started "Each player must remove two of his opponent's pawns". My opponent removed my d and e pawns and I removed his f and g pawns. Our game then started, and it lasted just one buzz:

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree