1. Joined
    18 Feb '10
    Moves
    29 Jul '15 15:05
    David Graham vs Greek Bloke. White to play and win. Not too tricky if you know there is a winning move to be found!

The game:
  2. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    30 Jul '15 05:09
    Why on earth would this post get two thumbs down? This is an ideal post for the forum.

Chess players are a funny lot.
  3. Standard memberSchlecter
    The King of Board
    Solar System
    Moves
    30 Jul '15 10:38
    Originally posted by Paul Leggett
    Why on earth would this post get two thumbs down? This is an ideal post for the forum.

Actually are 3, ... ,

but you are right: This is the perfect post for the forum
  4. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    30 Jul '15 11:57
    Thanks DF, I've given you a 7th thumbs-up.
  5. Joined
    08 Apr '09
    Moves
    30 Jul '15 12:59
    Originally posted by Paul Leggett

Maybe some people have flipped the board before giving a thumbs up. πŸ˜€
  6. e4
    Moves
    30 Jul '15 13:131 edit
    I suspect the 'down-thumbers' are those who could not solve it. πŸ™‚

Howell v Gormally contained a very difficult missed win that featured
    checks and pawn promotions for the losing side and non-checking
    quite pawn moves for the side that could have won.

Toss in time trouble and you have the makings of a missed brilliancy.

David Howell -Daniel Gormally, British Championships 2015

7. Joined
    18 Feb '10
    Moves
    30 Jul '15 13:413 edits
    I don't care a row of buttons for thumbs up or thumbs down, chess alone is beattful (*).

Edit: I've just spent half an hour creating a post of the Howell vs Gormally game and then when I entered it I found that Greenpawn had beaten me too it. How I hate him.

Greenpawn - can you give the lovely mate which happens after 10.Ke1 in the line you posted.

(*) Not a spelling mistake. Can anyone name the character who spelt "beautiful" this way in Geoffrey Willans' wonderful "How to Be Topp" book?
  8. e4
    Moves
    30 Jul '15 23:33
    Edit: I've just spent half an hour creating a post of the Howell vs Gormally game and then when I entered it I found that Greenpawn had beaten me too it. How I hate him.

Greenpawn - can you give the lovely mate which happens after 10.Ke1 in the line you posted.
    Sorry:

9. Joined
    18 Feb '10
    Moves
    31 Jul '15 16:261 edit
    A brutal end to this one between Chris Rice (White) and Sabrina Chevannes. An excellent example of the dangers of pinching pawns at the expense of developing your pieces in the opening. White resigned after Black's 16th move. I've added the extra moves to show the mate.

10. Joined
    18 Feb '10
    Moves
    31 Jul '15 17:04
    Mark Hebden is playing very well in these Championships, winning four of his first five games and losing the other. His effort today was fun to watch (Hebden White, Marcus Osborne Black):

11. Joined
    18 Feb '10
    Moves
    31 Jul '15 17:29
    There are, I think, three women taking part in the Championships. My favourite for the women's title is Akshaya Kalaiyalahan, who stomped on Charlie Storey today. I think she's only about 16 years old. Her 34th move (Akshaya was White) showed a real killer instinct - when your opponent is short of time, lay a cheap trap for him to walk into!

12. Joined
    27 Apr '07
    Moves
    31 Jul '15 17:57
    I wihs I had 4 hands to give Datafly 4 thumbs up.
  13. e4
    Moves
    01 Aug '15 03:03
    Hi Datafly,

A ''cheap trap', that one would have been game number one in my collection of Best Games!

Did you catch the 'Battle of Blind Swine' between:

Harry Grieve and Clive Waters, British Ch.2015

White to play

and 16 moves later.

Black to play

Black to play
  14. Joined
    18 Feb '10
    Moves
    07 Aug '15 17:542 edits
    As old Uncurious George so eloquently put it: "Fool me once, shame on ... shame on you. Fool me ... ... you can't get fooled again"

Here in this last round game from the British Championships between Nicholas Evans (White) and Dave Graham, White, who is already in trouble, walks straight into a "removing the defender" tactic when he protects a pinned piece with an easily shifted rook. He then allows exactly the same thing two moves later!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree