2. Joined
    18 Feb '10
    Moves
    13 Mar '14 14:58
  3. Joined
    18 Feb '10
    Moves
    13 Mar '14 15:131 edit
    In retrospect, 18. ... h6 seems to have been a mistake because 19. Ne5 threatened 20. Ng6 (the f7 pawn being pinned) and hence Black had to take the knight straight away. After that White's position seemed much better.

39. ... Nxa4 was an excellent example of "a knight on rim is dim" - White rounded it up without any problems and the poor old knight had no way out.
  4. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    13 Mar '14 17:02
    Originally posted by Data Fly
    In retrospect, 18. ... h6 seems to have been a mistake because 19. Ne5 threatened 20. Ng6 (the f7 pawn being pinned) and hence Black had to take the knight straight away. After that White's position seemed much better.

39. ... Nxa4 was an excellent example of "a knight on rim is dim" - White rounded it up without any problems and the poor old knight had no way out.
    Yes possibly you're right. I haven't really had time to look through it properly. It's good to see Anand start well, his reputation has taken a battering over the last few years. Maybe the Tiger has finally found his claws again? Hope so. 🙂

Did you see Karjakin v Svidler? The final repetition is hilarious. 😀

5. Joined
    18 Feb '10
    Moves
    13 Mar '14 17:21
    It will certainly make the tournament more interesting if there are _two_ ex-Champions fighting for a chance to regain their title (the other being Kramnik, not Topov).
  6. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    13 Mar '14 17:26
    Originally posted by Data Fly
    It will certainly make the tournament more interesting if there are _two_ ex-Champions fighting for a chance to regain their title (the other being Kramnik, not Topov).
    Kramnik looked strong as black, i really liked his opening. It is still too early to see who's in contention, but all the games looked well fought which isn't always the case at the start. The double round robin format is just perfect to encourage fighting chess! 🙂
  7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    13 Mar '14 22:13
    Originally posted by Marinkatomb
    Kramnik looked strong as black, i really liked his opening. It is still too early to see who's in contention, but all the games looked well fought which isn't always the case at the start. The double round robin format is just perfect to encourage fighting chess! 🙂
    You have a link to the games?
  8. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    14 Mar '14 00:19
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    You have a link to the games?
    Well, amongst others...

http://en.chessbase.com/post/candidates-rd1-the-madras-tiger-breaks-aronian
  9. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    29 Mar '14 21:00
    What a come back!
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    29 Mar '14 22:491 edit
    What a come back!
    after perusing a few of his games his play is much more aggressive and assertive than when he played Carlsen, its like a different player entirely. I am actually more interested in how Kramnik and Topalov are getting along.
  11. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    30 Mar '14 11:09
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    after perusing a few of his games his play is much more aggressive and assertive than when he played Carlsen, its like a different player entirely. I am actually more interested in how Kramnik and Topalov are getting along.
    Yes I agree. His play has become far too cautious over the last 4 or 5 years. It seems to be quite a common problem which goes with the World title. Kramnik was the same when he was the champion.

Now Anand has nothing to lose. I'll be interested to see how different his match with Carlsen will be a year on. If my memory serves me correctly, there have been quite a few 'rematches' like this in the past. Botvinik v Tal for example. Who would have backed Botvinik before that rematch? I wonder if Anand can do what it takes to adapt to Carlsens style and really challenge him this time? It would be great to see. 🙂
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    30 Mar '14 14:031 edit
    Yes I agree. His play has become far too cautious over the last 4 or 5 years. It seems to be quite a common problem which goes with the World title. Kramnik was the same when he was the champion.

Now Anand has nothing to lose. I'll be interested to see how different his match with Carlsen will be a year on. If my memory serves me correctly, there hav ...[text shortened]... akes to adapt to Carlsens style and really challenge him this time? It would be great to see. 🙂
    clearly something was not right last world championship, Vishy looked worn out and tense now he seems simply content to enjoy himself again, really interesting, id like to see him retake the crown, it would simply be sensational.
  13. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    30 Mar '14 22:45
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    clearly something was not right last world championship, Vishy looked worn out and tense now he seems simply content to enjoy himself again, really interesting, id like to see him retake the crown, it would simply be sensational.
    So Vishy has won, last round going on now I think. I am watching it but not sure if it has already finished, great commentary. Magnus analyzed some of the games also.
  14. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    31 Mar '14 11:42
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Magnus analyzed some of the games also.
    Really? Where did you see that?
  15. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    31 Mar '14 13:242 edits
    Really? Where did you see that?
    He was interviewed by telephone, he talked with the commentator for maybe 30 minutes and answered tweet questions also. This was on the link provided here. Several hours of comment round by round, this was round 13 I think.

Anyone know what the prize was for first place and the rest?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree