1. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    10 Jan '15 02:472 edits
    You are married and have 2 kids of your own. You see a troubled youth and want to save that child.

You know that the troubled child will bring problems to your home and cause problems that your children will need to deal with. You decide to do it.

The troubled child ends up molesting your children and abusing them in other ways.

Should you be put in jail for knowingly bringing the troubled child into your home.

Something similar happened to wife's best friend from college. She was the adult that adopted the troubled kid. I don't know if it was adoption or simply foster care.
  2. Standard memberredbadger
    Suzzie says Badger
    is Racist Bastard
    Moves
    10 Jan '15 13:04
    Originally posted by Eladar
    You are married and have 2 kids of your own. You see a troubled youth and want to save that child.

You know that the troubled child will bring problems to your home and cause problems that your children will need to deal with. You decide to do it.

The troubled child ends up molesting your children and abusing them in other ways.

Should you be put i ...[text shortened]... the adult that adopted the troubled kid. I don't know if it was adoption or simply foster care.
    my brother fostered and my daughter adopted all I know is having seen it first hand I would do neither.
  3. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    11 Jan '15 13:46

Should you be put i ...[text shortened]... the adult that adopted the troubled kid. I don't know if it was adoption or simply foster care.
    I absolutely do NOT think the parents should be prosecuted. They may have made a tragic mistake, to be sure. But I've always been one to consider the intent more important than the result when it comes to criminal matters.

The intent in this was was benevolent. Alas, it didn't work out. I don't think criminal negligence or recklessness should be applied to this kind of case.
  4. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    11 Jan '15 19:161 edit
    Originally posted by sh76
    I absolutely do NOT think the parents should be prosecuted. They may have made a tragic mistake, to be sure. But I've always been one to consider the intent more important than the result when it comes to criminal matters.

The intent in this was was benevolent. Alas, it didn't work out. I don't think criminal negligence or recklessness should be applied to this kind of case.
    How would you prosecute parents who allow their children to play on a busy street without supervision? Or perhaps gives their children guns to play with and then one of the kids ends up shot and dead?

When the kids suffer it wasn't because they wanted the kids to suffer. They just made a serious laps in judgment which led to tragic ends.

Good intentions does not make one immune to being responsible for putting others in bad situations.
  5. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    12 Jan '15 06:23
    They just made a serious laps in judgment .
    You just made a serious lapse in spelling.
  6. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    12 Jan '15 17:241 edit
    How would you prosecute parents who allow their children to play on a busy street without supervision? Or perhaps gives their children guns to play with and then one of the kids ends up shot and dead?

When the kids suffer it wasn't because they wanted the kids to suffer. They just made a serious laps in judgment which led to tragic ends.

Good intentions does not make one immune to being responsible for putting others in bad situations.
    ===How would you prosecute parents who allow their children to play on a busy street without supervision? Or perhaps gives their children guns to play with and then one of the kids ends up shot and dead? ===

I would use my common sense to distinguish between actions that are clearly negligent or reckless on the one hand and reasonable judgments that turned out to be mistakes on the other.
  7. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    12 Jan '15 19:14

'troubled child' is rather vague, making it impossible to say. either way its hard to think of a scenario in which the adult would deserve a prison sentence.
  8. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    13 Jan '15 00:08
    ===How would you prosecute parents who allow their children to play on a busy street without supervision? Or perhaps gives their children guns to play with and then one of the kids ends up shot and dead? ===

I would use my common sense to distinguish between actions that are clearly negligent or reckless on the one hand and reasonable judgments that turned out to be mistakes on the other.
    You would use common sense? It seems common sense to me that you do not endanger your kids by bringing into their lives people who have a very good chance of being predators.
  9. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    13 Jan '15 02:36
    You would use common sense? It seems common sense to me that you do not endanger your kids by bringing into their lives people who have a very good chance of being predators.
    What if you honestly and sincerely think the person is rehabilitated and that you have a chance to save the person's future?
  10. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    13 Jan '15 02:46
    We have gone from "troubled youth" to "predator" ... how did that happen?
  11. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    13 Jan '15 04:05
    What if you honestly and sincerely think the person is rehabilitated and that you have a chance to save the person's future?
    Do it when your children are gone. You should have more concern with how your own children turn out than risk their defenseless lives. They are defenseless if you are not willing to defend them.
  12. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    13 Jan '15 04:05
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    We have gone from "troubled youth" to "predator" ... how did that happen?
    Read the original post.
  13. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    13 Jan '15 13:49
    Do it when your children are gone. You should have more concern with how your own children turn out than risk their defenseless lives. They are defenseless if you are not willing to defend them.
    What if:

1. By the time your children are gone, it will be too late for this person
    2. You sincerely believe you can help save this person's future
    3. You have assessed the risk to your own children and concluded that the risk was negligible

?
  14. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    13 Jan '15 15:361 edit

My parents neighbors waited till their 2 sons were out of the house. They adopted this girl from foster care. This girl will be 18 this year. They have had her for 7 years.

She is crazy. Once she stolen iPod while she was at our house and I was gone at work. We found out and her mom called the police she had to do community service. And it was like a God thing too because one day when she was doing the community service we saw her as we drove by we got to honk and wave at her embarrass her. Also at the church they attend she has stolen phones before and added time to her community service. But that is all done now.

Also my neighbor the dad she has thrown a rabbit cage at him with the rabbit in it, how stupid is she!

I would say wait till your kids are completely out of the house that is what my brother and his wife are going to do. Always remember bad company corrupts good character. If you do it to save somebody you're doing it for the wrong reasons.
  15. Germany
    Moves
    13 Jan '15 16:12
    Yeah, maybe you should also ask the government to step in and mandate that people only have one child. What if the second one is a danger to the first? Also, people should only be allowed to have children with calm, tranquil people who are not likely to produce violent offspring.

Or... maybe leave stuff like this up to parents?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree